New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Guys I have a question, I bought this car last April and 2 weeks ago I had a change oil. What are the things I have to know in car maintenance. I have no idea its my first time to own a car. Pls. give me tips naman like Timing belt when to replace, iyong radiator, muffler, battery may nilalagay diyan di ba? Co-employeer of mine offered me 4 liters of fully synthetic oil (daw) for 1500 only. Just don't know kung may halo. Pero he is insisting na puwede raw iyon sa 97 model car. Sabi kasi nung sa shell na mekaniko pag old cars daw di na puwede synthetic. Is it true na di na puwede and full synthetic for old cars? TIPS PLEASE

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd suggest sticking to regular mineral oil (20W-40) and just change your oil every 5,000kms. The thicker oil is suggested for older car as there are lesser chances it will leak out through the old gaskets in your engine.

As a matter of precaution, change your timing belt (use an original timing belt then for the tensioner bearings, go for the Koyo brand). Change all your fluids (brake, coolant, gear, PS) and your fuel and air filters as well, clean the brakes, check the belts, hoses, underchassis, etc. A compression test can also help to check of your engine is in a healthy state.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    thanks so much

4. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    I'd suggest sticking to regular mineral oil (20W-40) and just change your oil every 5,000kms. The thicker oil is suggested for older car as there are lesser chances it will leak out through the old gaskets in your engine.

As a matter of precaution, change your timing belt (use an original timing belt then for the tensioner bearings, go for the Koyo brand). Change all your fluids (brake, coolant, gear, PS) and your fuel and air filters as well, clean the brakes, check the belts, hoses, underchassis, etc. A compression test can also help to check of your engine is in a healthy state.

Hi, am new here... just want to know kung ano gas type ba pwede for AE101 engine 96 toyota corolla gli? 93% or 95 % ba na mixture or unleaded lang? thank you very much...

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Use Petron XCS 95 Octane.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyota User2009 View Post
    Hi, am new here... just want to know kung ano gas type ba pwede for AE101 engine 96 toyota corolla gli? 93% or 95 % ba na mixture or unleaded lang? thank you very much...
    Use Petron XCS. Gives you more power and less headaches [ e10 - though quite unsure if it's compatible with it as mine, it isn't ( '96 corolla xl ) ]

7. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Easiest car to maintain due to its ubiquity. Any mechanic anywhere can service this car and its 2E or 4AFE engine. If you got the 2E carbed version, all you got to do is check fluids (oil, fuel, water, power steering and brake/clutch) and you're good to go. This engine is bulletproof, I once got home to Manila from Taguig in rush hour traffic not knowing that the alternator drive belt and water pump had gone bust, so I was literally driving with NO coolant and solely on battery power all the time. Buti nalang di ako naka aircon ehehe... For gas, just use premium gas as much as possible, pero kung tipid ka puwede rin E10, but go back to premium gas unless sinasadya mo sirain yung makina to make cause for an engine swap.

BTW the silvertop 4AGE engine of Initial D renown is a direct bolt-on to the AE101. Ahhhh, the wonderful sound of ITBs...

As for belts, I used Bando. Seems OK to me, mura pa timing belt *400.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    i was in a 7 hour standstill in Edsa during Ondoy and an additional 2 hours of driving.Maasahan talaga itong 12 year old Corolla ko kaya binili ko agad ng bagong sapatos hehe

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    If you have the Toyota 2E 1300CC motor most of the encounter problem on it are leak in oil seal . Its best to replace it with a good quality even more expensive . The cheaper ones rubber oil seal easy to harden that causes oil leak.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Mahal ang orig na oil seals (lalo na pag di ka sanay sa presyo ng piyesa ng sasakyan), pero matibay. Isang beses pa lang pinapalitan ang oil seals ng 2E ko after 16 years, and this is on a 140K kms na car. First owner ako kaya alam ko.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Maintaining 97 Toyota corolla car