New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My LC80 (not converted) 4.2L Tdi, A/T, currently emits a weird sound. When you accelarate it abruptly, out comes a 'whistling like sound'. This occurs even in low speeds as long as you accelarate it abruptly. If you drive normally, the sound does not come out even at high speeds. The sound does not affect the performance, or so I think, but its really bothering. This wasn't there before. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Turbo bearing worn? Loose air intake fittings?
    Try using a thinner oil like 15w40 or full synth 5w40.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    hindi kaya sa speakers ng radio? just a thought. How about the belts fan, a/c, etc. Could be the alternator or idler bearings. is it coming from your hood or just at the shift lever (floor)?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i can't tell where its coming from but its definitely not the speakers, the sound depend on the acceleration eh not the speed, ur guess is as good as mine. u guys know any expert where i can have it checked? i tried toyota q.a. and they just told me its normal, what dumbasses

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    One thing i would check out first would be the turbo...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    di po ba normal yung whistling sound na yun? i thought it's just the sound of the turbo kicking in. :confused:

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    OT: di ba nakakasira sa diesel engines kung mag accelerate ka abruptly? :confused:

8. Join Date
    Jan 1970
    I've had this "whistling" sound emanating from the turbo since day one that I acquired the LC80; but then, my unit is not brand-new upon acquisition, hence I am not sure if this is a defect or just normal with this 1HD-T engine. Whatever it is, I have no qualms with the sound, in fact, I like it.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    there's the sound of the turbo, but the "whistling sound" im referring to is something different. im sure this is not normal because this is the first time the sound came out after years of using it. quindoyos, ur right, its not good for the engine but the reason im asking is not to accelerate it abruptly but merely because it wasn't there before and might turn into a serious problem in the future.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i had the same problem before na meron lang sound pag hard acceleration.. baka nga sa belt lang yan... nung pinaadjust ko nawala na yung sound..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
LC80 Problem, Help!