New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Hope you guys can help me decide which diesel engine is better in performance, fuel economy, etc..

Since Common Rail Diesel ENgine are quite new, Am having second thoughts which to buy the Toyota Innova or Hyundai Starex, if we are to base on engine only for the meantime...

Thanks for any inputs...

WBR,

2. Join Date
    May 2004
    [SIZE=2]Hey Epic,
    From what I gathered on threads before, CRDI engines used by HYUNDAI are second-generation while that of TOYOTA is already fourth-generation. Don't ask me who's using third-generation.he he he. I'm still looking for that thread. But to give a little info about it, the D-4D used by TOYOTA on their new line of diesel-powered vehicles compared to the HYUNDAI's CRDI are said to have more torque, more fuel-efficient, has less vibration and devoids the problem of using the quality of diesel that is currently available in the Philippines.

Basically, those are the main advantage of TOYOTA's D-4D over Hyundai's CRDI from what I read through the threads. Other members can explain the technical details.

Ciao![/SIZE]

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    comparing the engines with the same displacement (2.5L), Hyundai wins hands down in terms of power & torque (145 hp & 360Nm torque versus 102 hp & 200Nm torque).

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    lean burn yata kasi ang toyota engine. so kahit na same crdi type injection and same engine displacement, they don't have similar performances. the toyota engine sacrificed power and torque for better emmission control. so if you want power and torque, go for the more powerful hyundai. if you want to save the earth, go for the lean burning toyota.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    my guess is maybe mas reliable toyota engine, so i pick the D-4D

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    sabi ng toyota friend ko their 2.5 crdi is turbo only, while the hyundai/kia sorrento 2.5 crdi is intercooler turbo, that accounts for the power discrepancy. In the same breath, toyota's crdi achieves the hp and torque at a very low rpm setting, as compared with the hyundai's crdi.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by altec
    In the same breath, toyota's crdi achieves the hp and torque at a very low rpm setting, as compared with the hyundai's crdi.
    hyundai starex:
    145 bhp * 3800 rpm
    360 Nm torque * 2000 rpm

toyota hi-lux 4x2:
    102 bhp * 3600 rpm
    340 Nm torque * 1400-3400 rpm

8. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for the ideas people... But does the figure in their brochure for the specs that reliable?? kasi might be over rated ang data nila on the brochure...o kaya minsan may typo error...

Anyway my conclusion is mas OK cguro ang Innova sa Starex cause as somebody mentioned mas maganda ang burn ng fuel nito so in the long run, you can save in your fuel expenses.. Nowadays it's important that the engine MUST BE fuel efficient kasi our fuel SURELY WILL NOT go back the less than 20 pesos per liter as was 2 years ago... sobra sobra na kita ng mga oil companines natin dito sa pinas...tsk. tsk. tsk.

WBR, ;)

9. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    I'd for the Innova over the Starex for the ff. reasons:
    1. As pointed out by Cyberdoc95, the engine of the Innova uses the latest CRDI technology. Very quiet and delivers more power at a lower rpm. The new injection system should eliminate the concern on poor quality of diesel in our country.
    2. Overall Toyota reliability
    3. Higher resale value

10. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Another thing to consider is the curb weight of the cars. If the starex has higher hp output but is more heavier than the innova, then in terms of performance mukhang at par or exceed ang innova.

Since turbo na yung toyota CRDI I think puwede rin mag install ng intercooler to further boost power output.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Hyundai CRDI engine against Toyota D-4D