New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    this melting dash board is pretty much a first for me. i've heard them to discolor or fade overtime but never to sort of liquefy

maybe it'll be cheaper and more convenient if you'll just buy a surplus dashboard of your choosing here in manila and then transport it to davao rather than bringing your old and damaged one from there to here and then back to davao city again.

hmmm...come to think of it, i don't think i've seen any shops w/c specialized in auto interiors in davao city back in the day. wala ata niyan sa claveria, uyanguren, magallanes, etc

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The rubber on my Exalta before was the same. Not surprising that many new Japanese cars come with hard plastic dashboards instead of the soft stuff.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by snail View Post
    I think mine has more to do with sun over exposure since I don't use cleaning agents.

Unfortunately, not a lot of leather upholstery shops here in Davao so my options are limited..
    To somewhat slow the meltdown. You may want to buy a cheap sun reflector.

If walang matinong car leather shop dyan, bka maging profitable mag open ng isa... Tara sosyo tayo =)

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Naisip ko lang: Are the door panels also melting? Aren't they made from the same material as the dashboard?

5. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Wala ka bang garahe, sa kalye lng

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    The more plausible reason. Looks like the popular shiny cleaning spray most owners use is not friendly to some materials
    Yup. 20 years ago when I got my first car, I used to apply armour all on the dashboard and steering wheel. After a couple of years, the dash and wheel was showing signs of wear from the rubber turning soft. These days, I just use a damp cloth and it works just fine.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Before anything else, get your windshield tinted first.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by albert_b View Post
    Naisip ko lang: Are the door panels also melting? Aren't they made from the same material as the dashboard?
    Yes, I think they're made of the same material. However, major difference is that I have tint on my side windows.

My car's parked under then sun everyday in front of my office..

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by snail View Post
    Yes, I think they're made of the same material. However, major difference is that I have tint on my side windows.

My car's parked under then sun everyday in front of my office..
    yun vinyl dash ng subie ko ganyan din lumalagkit pag nabilad sa araw gamit ko mothers interior protectant. sabi nun e-mail ko mothers may build up daw ng protectant. i was advised to clean the dash with mild car shampoo and water mixture then apply mother VLR. ganun pa din pag nabilad malagkit. i stripped the dash with alcohol tapos punas punas na lang ng baby wipes for maintenance. di na ko bumili ng VLR. BTW full tint kotse ko pati windshield. ngayon ok naman sya basta lagay lang ng sunshade pag mainit. problem din ng mga lexus yan melting dashboard

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymd View Post
    yun vinyl dash ng subie ko ganyan din lumalagkit pag nabilad sa araw gamit ko mothers interior protectant. sabi nun e-mail ko mothers may build up daw ng protectant. i was advised to clean the dash with mild car shampoo and water mixture then apply mother VLR. ganun pa din pag nabilad malagkit. i stripped the dash with alcohol tapos punas punas na lang ng baby wipes for maintenance. di na ko bumili ng VLR. BTW full tint kotse ko pati windshield. ngayon ok naman sya basta lagay lang ng sunshade pag mainit. problem din ng mga lexus yan melting dashboard
    That s*cks.

I'm planning to have the windshield tinted next week to minimize the damage, but from what you said, that didn't prevent the same problem from happening to your subie.

I just came back from an car accessory shop and it seems the only option out there for me is to cover the dashboard with Dashield. I passed when I saw what it looked like.

I think I'll write Toyota an email about this..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast