New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    3 wks ago I bought a 2004 Altis 1.8G w/57,000km. 5 days ago I had the gas tank filled up, the gas tender called my attention that the gas was pouring on the station's floor. I hurriedly went to my mechanic for evaluation. Jacked up the rear body and removed the left rear tire so he can access the area where the gas leak was coming from. Unscrew the tank strap and lowered a bit. It was on the left side near the top of the tank. Pumped air into the gas tank, we saw the gas was like a leaking"pee". It was a factory defect gas tank with a small hole over time rusted. The previous owner never revealed to me the problem, and probably was brought to the attention of Toyota and was never entertained or the cost of replacement is so high and opted to just half-fill the tank all the time.
    My mechanic applied the whole tubes of a 78 pesos epoxy plus a few hundred pesos labor cost. Tsaran! I just came from Batangas Expressway with the tank filled and noticed no leak at all. I love the car - so powerful when you need it...

2. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    nice one sir hindi natin maiiwasan pag 2nd hand na sasakyan talaga ang bibili ang hahanap talaga ng sulusyon sa prblem ng oto,,btw sir congrats

3. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by n2lvq View Post
    My mechanic applied the whole tubes of a 78 pesos epoxy plus a few hundred pesos labor cost. Tsaran! I just came from Batangas Expressway with the tank filled and noticed no leak at all. I love the car - so powerful when you need it...
    Done that and it only work for few days, Epoxy steel won't work on gasoline tank as it will loosen up in no time due to gasoline reaction to the epoxy.

Best to replace the whole tank or have it serviced by a welder who do radiator repairs, they will pull down the tank and will patch the hole with lead using hot rod while they insert a free flowing compressed air to the tank.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    naku delikado un ah....buti naagapan mo sir...
    baka kase magliyab kotse mo nyan pag may nag spark...

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    My mechanic worked for Toyota/Mitsubishi Casas. While employed with one of these big Casas, he mentioned to me that with his experience he cannot weld the tank. This is his experience: after emptying/cleaning thoroughly the tank before doing the welding job, and when he started to do the welding, the tank exploded on his face! After that incident, they just sand the leaking area and plugged with epoxy that's being used for engine block/radiator repair. No one came back for re-plugging. It is a very sad experience for a 2004 Toyota can have a factory defect. The problem could have started at the assembly line without the "TLC" attitude and got punctured. The quality control sucks. I don't know if Toyota have a replacement tank. Maybe it's too expensive that the previous owner did not have it corrected and just half-filled the tank all the time.
    I am just crossing my fingers and pray not to have a leak anymore. Am observing gas smell all the time from now on.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    I already had my Innova gas tank replaced with the aid of Insurance claim. Innova gas tank retail cost P20K+, I only paid the insurance participation fee.

When my Innova gas tank got a puncture hole, I plugged it with steel epoxy even how many times I clean the surface by sand paper still it won't last for a week. Gasoline slowly seep into the epoxy bond and will eventually get bigger and leak will develop, another factor is Toyota gas tank is so thin that vehicle movement will create metal sheet expansion and contraction due to pressure inside the tank.

Definitely you can not do electric or acetylene welding on gas tank without the aid of free flowing air inside your tank. The safest way to repair a tank is by hot rod and lead - same technique done in house roofing and vehicle radiators. Additional safety done by experienced lead welder is supplying the tank with free flowing compressed air, some others do this by immersing the tank in water.

7. Join Date
    May 2004
    We are also experiencing Leak in our Innova... Ano kaya cause? pang third time na namen toh... the 1st time we had it repaires sa Radiator Shop... the 2nd time we opted to replace it... used it for less than 6 months ngayon may leak nanaman... Baket kaya?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    my father had the same problem 2 years ago, may leak din yung gas tanjk, his was a 2003 1.8G, so nung papunta na kami sa toyota shaw-ortigas where my father bought the car medyo natraffic pa kami and yung badtrip is may nagbebenta ng mani na naglalakad sa may rightside ng kotse at bumili yung passenger sa tabi, pinapaalis namin yung tindero dahil may apoy yung nilalako niya at hindi makaintindi ang tagal bago pa umalis, ayaw naman namin maging car bomb sa gitna ng c5 no. so back sa toyota nireklamo ng erpat ko yung gas leak na yun saying na may 89 corolla kami na 17 years old na at never nakaroon ng problema yung gas tank ng ganun, so pinaiwan yung sasakyan sa casa at balikan after 2 days daw, so pagbalik namin napalitan na daw yung gas tank at kin claim ng erpat ko sa warranty yun dahil defect nga, ,medyo matapang ang erpat ko (kaya siguro medyo nasindak din mga tao dun) dahil pinapakita samin yung bill sa replacement na P20k+, sabi ng erpat ko na ipakita nila yung pinagpalitan na gas tank para makita niya kung san yung butas at dadalin niya sa head mismo ng toyota sa pilipinas para ipakita yung problema, pero sabi ng kumausap samin dun is nasa work area nila at bawal daw hindi empleyado dun, itatawag nalang daw samin yung sa receipt kapag babayaran na. at hanggang ngayon hindi na sila tumawag samin para singilin yung P20k na yun.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1997 View Post
    We are also experiencing Leak in our Innova... Ano kaya cause? pang third time na namen toh... the 1st time we had it repaires sa Radiator Shop... the 2nd time we opted to replace it... used it for less than 6 months ngayon may leak nanaman... Baket kaya?
    Innova gas tank is lower than its ladder frame chassis and is really susceptible to bumps and road stones. And secondly newer Toyota gas tank is made of very thin metal sheet that slightest bumps or dent will crack. Usually Innova gas tank will get dents from steep road humps.

I went to a steel fabricator in our place and have him fabricate a gas tank cage for my Innova for additional protection, so every time I crossed a steep road humps it is the rigid tank cage that touches the humps.

10. Join Date
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mile2 View Post
    Innova gas tank is lower than its ladder frame chassis and is really susceptible to bumps and road stones. And secondly newer Toyota gas tank is made of very thin metal sheet that slightest bumps or dent will crack. Usually Innova gas tank will get dents from steep road humps.

I went to a steel fabricator in our place and have him fabricate a gas tank cage for my Innova for additional protection, so every time I crossed a steep road humps it is the rigid tank cage that touches the humps.
    The leak po sa itaas ng tank nangagaling.. hindi po sa ilalim... so Hindi po siya cause ng humps or nabato... and hindi pa po sumasayad sa Humps yung innova namin... kaya nga talaga takang taka talaga ako... ganun na ba kabulok ang Toyota?

Cguro mga 6 months ago lang pinalitan ng Toyota Makati yun..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Factory Defect Gas Tank Altis