New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    round-trip to Tagaytay with a 2005 Toyota Hilux 3.0td 4x4 M/T with four persons on board = wish that we'd taken a nice, comfy car instead hehe.

tagtagtagtagtagtagtagtagtagtagtagtagtag.

it's stylish and huge and has a cheerful and spacious interior and has a reasonably strong engine (although it doesn't feel as tractable as other diesel engines for some reason) and appears to get great fuel economy and it works very well as a truck - huge bed, a proper four-wheel drive mechanism, feels very robust...

...but definitely not a daily driver if your daily drive doesn't include serious hauling: it's a nightmare to park, a nightmare in bumper-to-bumper traffic (at least until you get used to the Mt. Everest seating position) and a nightmare in tight office parking levels. the heavy clutch gets nightmarish in rush-hour traffic, engine noise intrudes somewhat into the cabin at highway speeds, jamming the uncooperative shifter into its gates feels like rowing a boat, and the body and bed shakes, rattles and rolls over bumpy roads. and did i mention the the punishing ride (with the bed unladen, at least)? whew!

in other words, the Hilux is proud to be a real burly truck and sneers at wussy "crossover" softies.

buy one only if you absolutely need a truck. because if you don't, well, you'll be happier with a Fortuner or RAV4.

but if you do need a truck and are willing to accept the trade-offs of a truck, say hello to the most powerful, most spacious, most stylish and likely most robust and most off-roadable diesel pickup on the market today. just don't expect to be pampered.
    Last edited by mbt; March 18th, 2006 at 11:36 PM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    hmmm. i was only able to ride in a higher-than-usual 2.7vvti hilux (courtesy of fatbastard/cha) for i'd say about 2 kms total, and it felt solid. i guess the tagtag would come out on extended rides huh?

kinain din ng hilux ni cha yung gen 2.5 pajero namin in a drag race once both shift to 3rd gear (both a/t). heheheh.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Nasaan na ang pics natin marvin.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    additional reason to wait for the new Ford Ranger he he he

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    dropped by otep's house today in between errands for a brief impromptu off-road run at a nearby construction site...

* The Hilux is one the most stylish pickups on the market even if the 255/70R-15 wheels look a tad puny. Such an imposing presence on the road.

* Very good rear axle articulation (approximately 10 inches of travel), though it won't match a Patrol's or Land Cruiser's.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002

* Uh... the double-open-diff Hilux is hopelessly stuck. The stock Bridgestone Duelers are too slippery for off-road work. The absence of a rear limited-slip diff doesn't help things at all.

* Big blue smoke-belching wagon once again comes to the rescue hehe
    Last edited by mbt; March 18th, 2006 at 10:00 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    that's it. nabawasan na ng isa ang choices ko sa pickup

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    time to change to OME shocks and springs for better ride, more ground clearance and longer travel

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RedHorse
    that's it. nabawasan na ng isa ang choices ko sa pickup
    yeah me too... but that is to be expected. matagtag talaga basta truck chassis. baka mag 2nd hand na land cruiser na lang ako. kwento din kasi sa akin ng barkada kong may hilux, yung dad nya na naoperahan sa backbone 2 years ago di nakatagal ng 15 minutes sa pagddrive ng pickup not only hilux but other pickups as well. hmm napaisip tuloy ako kung bibili ako ng pickup o hinde. mga cable lang naman at networking cards/modems ang ikakarga ko

10. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    the hilux was with me the whole day last tuesday. sobrang tagtag. What I hate about the test unit was the manual transmission (as expected kasi truck siya) long throw. Ok naman yung engine. Space is average for me. Yup, its too big for me. Tama nga si marvin, puro bubong makikita ko sa rear view mirror hahahaha. I had a difficulty in parking the Hilux kasi nga malaki and hindi ako sanay sa pick up. Potholes sa Vito Cruz ext? no prob with the hilux.
    Last edited by carlocaraddict; March 18th, 2006 at 10:40 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Extended drive: 2005 Toyota Hilux 3.0d 4x4