New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Anyone who has roof rail drilled to the roof of their vehicle.

Can your share your experience?

I currently use a removable generic cross bar where I place my roof rack.

It served its purpose but removing it and putting it back is cumbersome so I am thinking to put a permanent roof rail.

I do not want tha no-drill type because I actually things on my roof rack.

vehicle is Innova.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Why not get an OEM Toyota roof rail that mounts properly, then add a good crossbar for the load? Another option is to get a gutter mount crossbar for your Innova. You may spend more but in my case, it's worth it in the long run and i have peace of mind even if my Thule roof box is fully loaded and i run at highway speeds. The drilled rail might cost corrosion or leaks in the long run.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    OEM roof rails for the Toyota Innova is not drilled and will take out atleast 2-3k from your pockets.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Why not get an OEM Toyota roof rail that mounts properly, then add a good crossbar for the load? Another option is to get a gutter mount crossbar for your Innova. You may spend more but in my case, it's worth it in the long run and i have peace of mind even if my Thule roof box is fully loaded and i run at highway speeds. The drilled rail might cost corrosion or leaks in the long run.
    I am bit confused because Innova doesnt have that gutter like the ones in FX and Adventure so how can a gutter crossbar be installed? Can you send be some link to a an image?

I currently have something exactly like this (not Thule but a generic imitation)

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew_Alcindor View Post
    I am bit confused because Innova doesnt have that gutter like the ones in FX and Adventure so how can a gutter crossbar be installed? Can you send be some link to a an image?

I currently have something exactly like this (not Thule but a generic imitation)

there are thule fakes here?!!

6. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    there are thule fakes here?!!
    to be fair, sellers are honest to write it is just an "imitation" or they just advertise it as a generic crossbar.

I think the Thule name in the pic was for the wind fairing. But I am also not use if the is the real thing.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lew_Alcindor View Post

Sorry, i meant to say gutterLESS crossbars. :D

On the rubber strips on the Innova roof, there's a hidden provision to take an OEM roof rail that can carry a load. I considered this for our Innova before (when I still had one). I recall i could buy the roof rail for this from the CASA or at Banawe.

From: https://www.*******/item/toyota-innov...-1_id103520632

I also like the Thule (pricey lang).

8. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Thule is really expensive for something I seldom use.

Mejo hesistant ako dun sa no-drill "OEM" kasi ang pagkakaalam ko nakasiksik lang siya sa walls ng rain gutter ng Innova.

For aesthetic purpose lang yun IMO kumpara siguro dun sa stock roof rail ng Fortuner.

Pag nilagyan gn roof rack yung gutterless roof rail, kaya cguro niya yung weight ng load pero yung lateral force pag gumalagaw na, kaya pa kaya especially kung hindi siya welded or screwed to the body.