New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    Ghosthunter, i really can't thank you enough for bringing up the sludge issue.

roberto_minosa, unfortunately, the price difference is quite big-- well, not THAT big, but big enough to exceed my target budget. The 2010 Altis is tagged at 804k, the 2011 Altis is at 930k, 125k difference. I was hoping to spend just around 800k... I guess the 2010 isn't meant to be... I really can't handle a high maintenance car.

In your opinion, between the new Vios 1.5 G A/T and a Honda City 1.3 S A/T, which would be a better choice?

I've heard this quite a lot, 1.3 on an M/T is ok, but 1.3 on an A/T isn't that recommended? That it should be 1.5 at least-- is this correct? It'll be used 85% for city driving and some long driving-- but I don't want to have problems when going "inclined" locations with full passengers.

Also, since I'm already asking someone who knows cars, can I add one more question-- the problem I have now with my car is that it's a pain on my left knee during continuous driving exceeding 30 mins. I don't know if my car's old that's why the clutch is that "problematic" but in a new M/T car, will the clutch give the same problem, meaning it's all the same for M/T cars (regardless if new or old)? Because if it's a no, maybe I can consider a new M/T 2011 Altis instead.

Sorry for the many questions!

2. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    nabibitinan nga ako minsan sa Vios 1.5G AT namin. lalo pag fully laden pano pa kaya ang City 1.3S AT?

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Sir there are lots of other brands as well. DOn't set your mind at just one brand of car. It does not mean that if it is toyota it is reliable. Just see all the recalls they have made for the past year... Try looking at cruze and my current favorite the Fiesta.... You can read the recent post of a proud owner of fiesta. It has a very positive review. I'm sure you could be happy as well.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    given the 2 choices, i personally would go for the altis.

pero kung may takot sa altis issues, get the vios na lang. IMO mas ok kunin na lang either jazz or city na matic.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by archie123456789 View Post
    given the 2 choices, i personally would go for the altis.

pero kung may takot sa altis issues, get the vios na lang. IMO mas ok kunin na lang either jazz or city na matic.
    Vios has an overheat issue naman. Try and look at the vios taxi's nakaopen lahat ang hood nila, It is due to overheating issues. Kaya recently puro altis na ang aquired for taxi.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Sir medyo confusing lang, when you say "no LTO/insurance", you mean they offer it for free? Or do you mean exclusive of LTO and insurance payments, so you'd still have to pay for LTO and insurance?

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    cokyi, no LTO/insurance= not included. Btw, I'm a girl

mschumacher, "Vios has an overheat issue naman." I've been asking around a lot about this, a lot of those people sy it happens to taxis only becuase they're used almost 24/7. For regular usage, home/office/school, do you think this'll still be an issue?

thanks basti and archie for the votes!

8. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by advan View Post
    cokyi, no LTO/insurance= not included. Btw, I'm a girl

mschumacher, "Vios has an overheat issue naman." I've been asking around a lot about this, a lot of those people sy it happens to taxis only becuase they're used almost 24/7. For regular usage, home/office/school, do you think this'll still be an issue?

thanks basti and archie for the votes!
    it's not everyday that you'd purchase a car, madam.
    what they say maybe true since hindi naman usually abused ang cars for personal use pero we're not sure pa of that. the 50K difference between your two choices would spare you of that worry at the back of your mind, give you bigger space, and better ride.

schedule a weekend/day-off to sit in these two choices and take them for test drives. usually, when you get off the car, you'd know the right car for you.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto_minosa View Post

The 2011 model has the 3ZR-FE. Dual VVT-i as standard and available 6-speed manual. Dunno if they changed the 4-speed auto. They're phasing out the remaining 3ZZ-equipped Altis units so prices are rock bottom. And a "new" model is always supposed to have a higher price, as Philippine marketing rules dictate. lol

Think of the Vios as a semi-double bed while the Altis is a queen-size. I vote Altis.
    Sir 3ZR-FE po yung 2.0 model. Been out since 2009. Our non-facelift 2.0V has it. The 1.6 Dual-VVTi engine you're saying is the 1ZR-FE if I'm not mistaken. The 1.6G model keeps the 4-AT but is available with a 6-MT while the 1.6V has a CVT. The facelift 2.0V keeps the 3ZR-FE of before but now has CVT as well instead of the old and goddamn slow to react but creamy smooth 4-AT.

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    badbadtz.carlo, yes, i've already test driven both. Just need to know the real deal because a few minutes in them and the SA won't really say known potential problems (if any) and for me they all feel more or less the same. I'm not much of a car enthusiast to notice what needs to be noticed. The 50k difference is between the new Vios and the 2010 Altis (not the new Altis) which some on this thread have said has a issue with sludging. If this is so, the 50k for me isn't worth it if it's difficult to maintain in the long run. Need everyone's advice to make an informed decision

jut703 and roberto_minosa, i asked the SA this afternoon and she confirmed the 2010 has a ZZ... But being the same SA who said the Vios and 2010 Altis have the same engine, maybe I should double check with another SA. Will post the feedback here. But say it's a 3ZR-- this has a track record of being a really good engine, no sludging issues or any other probematic tendencies?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
buying a toyota, advise pls