New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    My 1.6G A/T is still a week old. Odometer at 180km and never went beyond the speed of 80km/h. When and how is the recommended break in for the car?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    bro, you should have asked the casa, but as far as i know, up to 1k kms. pwede mo namang i lampas yan ng 80 kph, as long as you go easy on the revs.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    take it to NLEX one sunday morning kahit balikan lang end to end. it's a must to see the potential at an early stage say 100-120 kph

4. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    The proper Break-in AFAIK is pedal to the metal and reving the engine hard.

google nyo nalang po.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Thanks!

Pedal to the metal, full revs, and full speed... When (odometer reading) is the proper time to do this break in? Found no useful info in google, nor it is in the owner's manual.

Hope to here your thoughts and opinions based on your experiences.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    I have no experience with Toyota cars, but when i got my Sentra, the CASA peeps told me that modern cars are broken-in at the factory. But, they gave me instructions similar to how a break-in works.

1. don't go over 3000rpm for the first 1K on the Odo
    2. shift gears upon reaching 2500rpm, better if you can switch up and down gears appropriately and not use up or stay on the same gear for a long time

I follow these steps even upto now na 6mos na car ko. Ayos na ayos naman takbo nia. Treat your engine well, kahit na break-in na para tumagal and mas mahaba ciang problem free.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    There are two school of thoughts in breaking in a car.

1) Full Rev, Full Speed, etc... which I read on the internet and the article did mention that in the long run this is advantageous to your engine kasi nababanat agad sya.
    2) Use Varying speed (but should not exceed 80KPH), varying RPMs (below 3KRPM) which is the CASA recommendation. This is also the old school way.

In my case, I used # 2, and this mainly is because of my dealer's recommendation as well as, I pretty much wanted to the preserve my warranty just in case the car breaks down (as the car is company owned)

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Break-in with new cars nowadays isnt as crucial as on cars from yesteryear or on newly overhauled engines. What i follow, and what is normally suggested to us is to go easy for the first few hundred kms (speed is okay but be light on the revs) then drive it hard towards the end of the break-in period before you go in for your first service stop.

With our Altis before (07 m/t), i felt the engine begin to loosen up after i took it on a long drive to Baguio (after around 2,000kms or so). On the track, the way they break-in the race cars after an overhaul is to drive over a certain number of laps consistently, gradually increasing revs/shift points until they reach redline.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Sir break-in guidelines are always in the manual. Some cars are not recommended to go beyond 80kph. Some cars can go up to 120kph during break-in. Even casas have different points of view. Some may tell you to go hinay-hinay until you reach 1000kms. Some casas may also tell you to go hataw para lumabas agad yung mga sakit at maayos agad sa 1000km PMS habang maaga.

Break In for Altis 2008