New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 339 of 900 FirstFirst ... 239289329335336337338339340341342343349389439 ... LastLast
Results 3,381 to 3,390 of 8993
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    1. most automotive brakes today are vacuum-assisted. when the engine is not running, the car has very minimal braking power, kahit tumayo pa kayo at magtatalon sa pidal. the brakes don't "lock", but they do have very little stopping power without that vacuum assist the engine normally gives. you might try pulling hard, the handbrake lever. it's a purely mechanical thing that doesn't rely on engine power...

2. "braking feel" while accelerating? hindi kaya, nag-downshift lang ang AT, kaya parang nag-brake ang sasakyan?
    Last edited by dr. d; March 23rd, 2014 at 09:41 AM.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    1. most automotive brakes today are vacuum-assisted. when the engine is not running, the car has very minimal braking power, kahit tumayo pa kayo at magtatalon sa pidal. the brakes don't "lock", but they do have very little stopping power without that vacuum assist the engine normally gives. you might try pulling hard, the handbrake lever. it's a purely mechanical thing that doesn't rely on engine power...

2. "braking feel" while accelerating? hindi kaya, nag-downshift lang ang AT, kaya parang nag-brake ang sasakyan?
    1. Many thanks for the info sir dr. D. Not sure how to describe that "locking" feeling. Brake pedal was jammed, as in di sya maapakan sa tigas.

2. Baka nga AT downshift yung na experience ni poster beach_head.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Head View Post
    Sadly, this has happened to me as well but our circumstances are different...

Yesterday, I had just pulled into our garage, which is inclined and already had our other car parked inside. I had to move forward a few inches more because the gate wouldn't close but I had forgotten that the engine was already off. I put my foot on the brake, shifted to Reverse, and released the hand brake. As I was rolling down the garage, the fear took over as I tried to pump the brake but it wouldn't budge. It was locked at its current position. I only realized the engine was off when I hit the bottom of the incline. Good thing there were no incoming cars or people passing by otherwise for sure I'd be in deep sh*t. The bad thing is that the underneath of my chin now has scratches because it scraped the road as I reached the bottom...

I don't know if I can replicate it, and I don't think I want to try.

Another odd thing is that since it happened, while driving, I feel like sometimes the brake engages itself even if I'm not stepping on it. Meaning, I can be at running at 60Kph and then all of a sudden feel like the car is braking even if I'm not stepping on the brake pedal.

Needless to say, I will be visiting the CASA on Monday to get my car checked...

- 6 Day Old 1.5G A/T (200Kms)
    Pede bang magshift from P to R when the engine is off? Havent really tried shifting my AT car when engine is off. Or pede na ishift pag gate type AT?

As for manual cars, usually very little ang breaking power ng car when engine is off. I assume same case sa AT

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Yep pede shift from P to any.

Pero kung hindi nakaon makina hindi mo mai-oon kung wala sa P or N.

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    As for manual cars, usually very little ang breaking power ng car when engine is off. I assume same case sa AT

with the car standing still, the engine at off has considerable braking power, because of the car's considerable weight/momentum.
    but with the car moving at significant speed, turning off the engine does not offer much of a braking advantage, also because of the car's considerable momentum..

with AT, i suppose that will depend on the manufacturer's design.. but basically, AT does not offer better engine braking ability than MT..
    that is why AT brake pads usually wear out faster than MT..

6. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuki13 View Post
    ^ sir yung experience ko naka R ako. Kasalukuyang umaatras yung auto habang inaayos ang pag parada, so nakaalalay ako sa brake. Biglang nag lock yung brake pedal - tuloy ang pag atras nang auto. Handbrake tas engine off nalang ako. Pag restart ko normal na ulit, buti patag yung pinaparadahan ko nung nangyare
    ganito din nangyari sakin nung bago pa sakin ung sasakyan. medyo inclined pinarkingan ko. pagalis ko sa katangahan nakalimutan ko start ang sasakyan. inuna ko nilagay sa reverse tapos release handbrake. namuti talaga ako kasi mga ilang meters din ung inatrasan ng sasakyan. hindi kumakagat ang preno kahit anong apak ko. buti na lang walang nagpapark o naglalakad. pinawisan talaga ako nun sa kaba.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Do you wait for the abs light to turn off before starting the engine?

8. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    i can not give you a straight yes or no. let's see... 16 today, 26... you have ten days to practice! kaya mo 'yan!
    palakasan lang yan ng loob. and you will know only once you try it.
    of course, the more hours you log practising your driving, the more confident you get.
    i remember my first driving lesson... isinabak ako ng instructor sa rush hour taft avenue traffic..

my suggestion.. choose a less-traveled route on you way home from the casa, and not during rush hour, if you can help it.
    you might also ask an experienced driver to accompany you.
    humor me... you are driving from where to where?

at pareho lang naman ang tao sa baka, e. mas pasaway nga ang baka, e.. heh heh.
    good luck. and welcome to traffic.

btw, you do need a driver's license if you are driving alone. but if you have a licensed driver beside you, you can drive with only a student permit. without either of these, you can't drive a motor vehicle on public roads.
    Hi Sir,

nkapagtrain nko sa driving school at ayun sabak kagad sa c5 at sa palengke ng western bicutan grabe pawis at pangi2nig ko hehehe pero kahit papanu maaus nmn kinalabasan I still have 2 days to practice before getting the car sa casa. slamat po sa lahat ng pumansin sa post at nagpayo sakin. Godbless po sa lahat.

BTW my non-pro DL n po ako kasi po ngmomotor po din ako 1 and 2 po un.

9. Join Date
    May 2012
    nangyari na din sa akin ito MT yung oto. Incline din garahe namin ng konti, madalas ako mag attas ng kotse using brakes lang and engine off for a few 6 inch distance lang. Biglang tumihas din brake pedal. Kumiss ng konti sa gate yung bumper ko.
    Pamula nun di na ko nag aayras ng car ng hindi na ka start engine.

Na explain ma ni dr. d yung reason.

*dr.d pano pala yung sa case na makakakita ng 1 car towing another car tapos tali o kadena lang ang gamit? Madalas ako makakita ng ganito, hindi ba tumitigas din ang brake pedal nung car na tinotow? Hindi ba sya sasalpok dun sa car na humihila?

Iwas ako pag nakakakita ako ng ganito.

Quote Originally Posted by Beach_Head View Post
    Sadly, this has happened to me as well but our circumstances are different...

Yesterday, I had just pulled into our garage, which is inclined and already had our other car parked inside. I had to move forward a few inches more because the gate wouldn't close but I had forgotten that the engine was already off. I put my foot on the brake, shifted to Reverse, and released the hand brake. As I was rolling down the garage, the fear took over as I tried to pump the brake but it wouldn't budge. It was locked at its current position. I only realized the engine was off when I hit the bottom of the incline. Good thing there were no incoming cars or people passing by otherwise for sure I'd be in deep sh*t. The bad thing is that the underneath of my chin now has scratches because it scraped the road as I reached the bottom...

I don't know if I can replicate it, and I don't think I want to try.

Another odd thing is that since it happened, while driving, I feel like sometimes the brake engages itself even if I'm not stepping on it. Meaning, I can be at running at 60Kph and then all of a sudden feel like the car is braking even if I'm not stepping on the brake pedal.

Needless to say, I will be visiting the CASA on Monday to get my car checked...

- 6 Day Old 1.5G A/T (200Kms)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Share ko lang FC ko kanina sa byahe ko 19.6km/l
    Solo driving with no AC for almost all the trip. Madaling araw kasi. Binubuksan ko ac kapag may naamoy akong mabaho. Total distance ay 140km. Max speed 80kph (100 for 1 minute only) 1.3 AT 7k odo. Route: subic to manila (sctex, nat'l hway, nlex)