New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Mga sir,

Im planning to buy a 1978 BJ40 with 2B(?) engine. Any advice on what are the things to look out for this kind of rig? Are engine,suspension, and body parts easy to source? I have been hearing that this has a 24v system? What does that mean?

Sorry for the questions. LC newbie here hehe

Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Things to look out for.... Rust, rust, rust, rust, rust.... and rust. kidding aside, these rigs are relatively hardy, though the stock engine is pathetically weak, you can still source mechanical parts, but cosmetic parts are a bit harder.

The BJ40 is slow, underpowered, hard-riding, has no power steering, no factory AC (usually), no ABS and hardly any braking ability, either. It's like driving a military truck, except it's not as safe.

I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Fantastically cool machines.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    niky, is the ride really that hard? harder than an empty jeepney?

im planning to buy 1 as a weekend warrior. this is not going to be my daily drive (as of now) haha

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Kung may unli-budget to restore from scratch, gogogo!

Pero kung very limited ang budget to let's say 200k for everything (except for the unit) I'd say forget it.

gwaping

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    You van fix it up for less than that budget, but it won't look as pretty, obviously.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Kung may unli-budget to restore from scratch, gogogo!

Pero kung very limited ang budget to let's say 200k for everything (except for the unit) I'd say forget it.

gwaping

may budget naman. hehe although i dont plan to spend everything in one go.

this is the unit that eying at:

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Actual unit? Pwede! Malinis.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Actual unit? Pwede! Malinis.
    yes actual unit hehe although may kaagaw ako sa pag bili hehe

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    That is freaking pristine. What's the asking price?

Ride is lumpy, but I've never felt like throwing up in one. Definitely better than an owner type or jeep... Long stroke, good suspension travel.

If the price is reasonable, I say: Go go go!

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Ever since my first trip up Pinatubo, I've fallen in love with these old school LCs. The 40-series LC is as caveman as can be, but that's exactly what makes it so interesting.

In my most recent trip to Pinatubo, the local tour guides were racing each other on the lahar tracks with these trucks, and boy was it exciting.

If I had the time and money to restore and play with one of these, I'd definitely get one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Advice: Planning to buy 1978 BJ40