New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 28 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by genesischain View Post
    ^Doesn't merc commonly have the image of catering to the market of midlife crisis blokes, not only in the PH, but in most other countries as well? Maski AMG pa sya?

I think erick_214's point is that, when you buy a car(more so for tuning), the transmission is a big part of the purchasing decision(unless you are a severely impulsive buyer, or just dumb with cash/credit) since it is one of the few points in the car that is very difficult to replace. These factors being the size, chassis, powertrain layout, etc.
    Not liking the C63 AMG? How about the Lexus IS-F? The Aston Martin Vanquish?

My point is, conventional ATs aren't as bad as you guys imply. A dual-clutch system doesn't make the torque-converter slushbox obsolete because there are still applications where the latter is better. As has been pointed out, performance-oriented DCT's are often very jerky under normal operation. Tamer DCTs on the other hand, such as those on the Ford Fiesta, aren't actually more responsive than the good torque-converter automatics.

And besides, Toyota doesn't have a mass-market dual clutch transmission to slap on the GT-86 anyway.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The one real-world problem with a torque-converter-equipped AT is the shift logic. Meaning to say... it's only as big a problem as the computer's pre-programmed or adaptive shift points.

I've driven traditional ATs that are as responsive in terms of shift logic as DCTs, even if the shifts themselves are slower. But in exchange for slower shifts, torque-converter autos give you smoother acceleration, especially from a stop. Something dual clutches still can't do, unless they also use torque converters.

Pero... smoothest pa rin ang CVT.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sonwar View Post
    If in case you will purchase this.... Whats is the reason why you will choose the Toyota 86 over a used 2004 BMW Z4, BMW 325i coupe or a 2001 Porche boxter S?
    Brand new pa rin naman and since subaru-toyota collaboration, quality is expected to be good. And most probably, maintenance is cheaper.

Plus the 2004 Z4 is not as good as the current Z4 which Top Gear UK is raving about.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The one real-world problem with a torque-converter-equipped AT is the shift logic. Meaning to say... it's only as big a problem as the computer's pre-programmed or adaptive shift points.

I've driven traditional ATs that are as responsive in terms of shift logic as DCTs, even if the shifts themselves are slower. But in exchange for slower shifts, torque-converter autos give you smoother acceleration, especially from a stop. Something dual clutches still can't do, unless they also use torque converters.

Pero... smoothest pa rin ang CVT.
    sir niky ano tingin nyo sa durability ng CVTs sa market ngayon. nissan, subaru, mitsu etc cvt na. is it more durable than conventional ATs? yun jazz dati cvt tapos nag revert back to conv AT. Personally i dont consider buying cars that have cvt trannies. OT pala haha

5. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Not liking the C63 AMG? How about the Lexus IS-F? The Aston Martin Vanquish?
    Not really.. I was just merely giving input about your AMG example.

And I don't really hate the conventional AT. It serves a purpose. Case to case basis though..

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    If in case you will purchase this.... Whats is the reason why you will choose the Toyota 86 over a used 2004 BMW Z4, BMW 325i coupe or a 2001 Porche boxter S?
    Because it's brand new, and is probably cheaper to run than your given options. :D

Although the 325i coupe looks really good, and if it is in its tip-top condition I'd choose it over the 86 any day..

Other alternatives for the 86 would be 2nd hand EVOs & Imprezas.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Unless 3.0, slower. Runflats. Cramped.

Runflats, slower, heavier... but it's a pretty good car if you need a tourer.

Hmmm... Flip a coin. The Boxster likely drives better... but maintenance issues for the pre-2006 Boxster engines (balancer failures) means... no.

The market for brand new cars is quite different than for secondhand. The typical 86 buyer is not considering secondhand sportscars. He wants the exclusivity, prestige and headache free operation of a brand new sports car.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymd View Post
    sir niky ano tingin nyo sa durability ng CVTs sa market ngayon. nissan, subaru, mitsu etc cvt na. is it more durable than conventional ATs? yun jazz dati cvt tapos nag revert back to conv AT. Personally i dont consider buying cars that have cvt trannies. OT pala haha
    Not any better or worse than a traditional auto. The Jazz issues were clutch pack issues that shouldn't affect units with torque converters for starting off, like the Lancer.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymd View Post
    CVTs nowadays are durable. Just need the proper oil and oil change every 40k kms.
    My 9 year old Lancer MX CVT runs fine. No issues on the tranny. 110k kms na ako.
    No reported issues also on Xtrail CVTs and Altis CVTs.

Honda lng pumalpak, because
    1. They put on the wrong oil in the factory.
    2. The design was faulty. I think think the clutches failed for those CVTs.

Although of course, if CVTs fail regardless of brand, you have to replace the whole transmission. Unlike normal 4, 5, 6ATs, you have replacement clutch packs in Banawe.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Starex_Gold View Post

Yung next batch ng Toyota 86 baka daw next year na.

Next year na daw sir yung next batch ng Toyota 86 sabi ng kaibigan ko.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    If next year pa bibili ng 86, pwede na magpareserve ngayon? makukuha kaya naman kaya kahit next year pa bibilhin?