New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    I have a 2010 Fortuner's key fob that is now very weak. Sometimes it will lock and unlock, sometimes it doesn't even though the LED light from the key fob will light up.

Since the battery would be 11 years old, I thought of just replacing the battery and see if it will perform better. Can I replace the battery by myself or should I bring it to Toyota dealership?

Because my worry is that replacing the battery will require reprogramming of the alarm system that only the Toyota dealer can do.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by yagami_kira View Post
    I have a 2010 Fortuner's key fob that is now very weak. Sometimes it will lock and unlock, sometimes it doesn't even though the LED light from the key fob will light up.

Since the battery would be 11 years old, I thought of just replacing the battery and see if it will perform better. Can I replace the battery by myself or should I bring it to Toyota dealership?

Because my worry is that replacing the battery will require reprogramming of the alarm system that only the Toyota dealer can do.
    if your key fob is original factory spec,
    something about replacing the battery is probably inside your owner's manual.

my fobs are not factory. but nothing untoward seems to happen when i replace my batteries.
    my guess is, nothing untoward will happen when you replace yours, either.

the internet is full of DIY videos on how to replace them batteries.
    wala naman akong nahagip na loss of programming.

for strength of the insides, you can give the toyota casa a call and ask them, po.
    "it's free."
    Last edited by dr. d; October 5th, 2021 at 08:29 PM.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    you can replace your key fob battery on your own. no need to worry about re-programming. you may opt to do it yourself or bring it to those watch repair shops for example where they sell the appropriate size battery.

2015 fortuner. i have replaced my key fob battery already but to note mas nauuna pa ma low bat yung fob na reserve kay dun sa susi na gamit mo araw araw. hehe

4. Join Date
    Nov 2017

5. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Change your Fortuner key Fob battery when ever its needed. The code to open the doors are stored in ROM memory, and so battery replacement will not affect the code memory.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk