New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Guys, we've recently procured a Japan surplus 1997 Toyota Granvia 3.0 4x2 A/T as part of a debt settlement. One look at the car and I knew we'd have to spend for it to be in good running condition, but since there's very little chance the owner could pay us back in full, we agreed to take it as part of the payment.

Fast forward almost a month later, we've replaced the front bushings, did a wheel alignment, had an oil and filter (air, oil and fuel) change, repaired a small leak on the front windshield, repaired the leaking windshield washer fluid reservoir (replace motor), had the radiator overhauled, replaced the battery (Amaron Hi Life 3SM), installed an alarm system, a 1-DIN Pioneer HU, HID system (could hardly see a thing with the stock lights!) and repainted the faded roof (Anzahl). Now there are still some things that need fixing, but at least the important stuff have been done.

Engine is the 3.0L 1KZ-TE (non-intercooled). Lots of low end grunt, but not much top end if you wring it. FC is only around 4.5km/L city and it' not even 4x4. Is it normal? What can I do to improve FC and power?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Guys, we've recently procured a Japan surplus 1997 Toyota Granvia 3.0 4x2 A/T as part of a debt settlement. One look at the car and I knew we'd have to spend for it to be in good running condition, but since there's very little chance the owner could pay us back in full, we agreed to take it as part of the payment.

Fast forward almost a month later, we've replaced the front bushings, did a wheel alignment, had an oil and filter (air, oil and fuel) change, repaired a small leak on the front windshield, repaired the leaking windshield washer fluid reservoir (replace motor), had the radiator overhauled, replaced the battery (Amaron Hi Life 3SM), installed an alarm system, a 1-DIN Pioneer HU, HID system (could hardly see a thing with the stock lights!) and repainted the faded roof (Anzahl). Now there are still some things that need fixing, but at least the important stuff have been done.

Engine is the 3.0L 1KZ-TE (non-intercooled). Lots of low end grunt, but not much top end if you wring it. FC is only around 4.5km/L city and it' not even 4x4. Is it normal? What can I do to improve FC and power?

1kz-te din yung hiace custom van ng isang pinsan ko....1 kz-t na lamang dahil kinonvert to mechanical pump. binypass lahat ng engine electronics. hehe...

kung tama ang alaala ko sa sinabi nya e masyadong matakaw kahit sa hiway tinatakbo. siguro 8 km/li...automatic trans din tapos wala pang aircon kasi.

how about yung timing belt nyan napalitan na rin ba?

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    1kz-te din yung hiace custom van ng isang pinsan ko....1 kz-t na lamang dahil kinonvert to mechanical pump. binypass lahat ng engine electronics. hehe...

kung tama ang alaala ko sa sinabi nya e masyadong matakaw kahit sa hiway tinatakbo. siguro 8 km/li...automatic trans din tapos wala pang aircon kasi.

how about yung timing belt nyan napalitan na rin ba?
    Thanks for replying sir. According to a label on the engine, the belt is supposed to be replaced every 100tkms, and that it was replaced in 2008 when it supposedly reached that mileage. Currently at 160tkms. I'm not sure if any of the belts we're changed after. My mechanic didn't recommend changing them though when I brought it to him for checkup.

So this kind of FC is normal. Is there anything we can do to improve the FC? Does EGR blanking help? What happened when your cousin converted his engine to mechanical pump? Wouldn't that make it even thirstier at the pump?

4. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    since you got the vehicle in an unknown condition, replace all the belts na lang including the timing belt - you do not know kung replacement lang ang nilagay

the vehicle is a van and it is heavy so you can't do anything about it.... thinner oil, energy efficient tires?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    That's the engine on my Prado. Low to mid range torque, definitely. High end not so much. Kaya better in the city or on relaxed highway drives. Maxed out the speedo at 180kph but 100-120 seems to be comfortable for it.

FC is in the 5km/L range for a 4 speed auto with 20" rims and 32" tires in the City.

I believe even the Australia guys get a max of 7-8km/L on their rigs, and their traffic is nowhere near our levels.

Sent from my Motorola Startac

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I hardly scrape 5 in city driving, and that is with stock 15 inch wheels and tires and rear wheel drive only. Perhaps it's because of the lack of an intercooler? I shudder to think how the full time 4WD variant drinks.

Drove it to Laguna recently. 100 comes at around 2200rpm. Haven't had the chance to do a top speed run yet.

The low end is really good. Punch seems to be better than even the new VGTs, but fades as the revs go further up.

I hope to throw in some mods on this engine when budget allows. What would be most beneficial for it?

7. Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Meron aq, fc is around 8km/l nga but on the brighter side matatag ang makina, napatakbo q un skin ng 97k km hnd aq nagkprobkema im from isabela i got stuck on traffic sa bundok sa nueva vizcaya going to manila 38hrs po walang patayan...

But now it all pays up bumigat steering q and nagtagas ng fluid itatanong q sana kung anu gamit nyo na rack and pinion since im sure lahat tyo converted...

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Josephoninz View Post
    Meron aq, fc is around 8km/l nga but on the brighter side matatag ang makina, napatakbo q un skin ng 97k km hnd aq nagkprobkema im from isabela i got stuck on traffic sa bundok sa nueva vizcaya going to manila 38hrs po walang patayan...

But now it all pays up bumigat steering q and nagtagas ng fluid itatanong q sana kung anu gamit nyo na rack and pinion since im sure lahat tyo converted...
    97tkms lang sayo? 162tkms na amin. Musta na condition? Pwede pakita? Rack daw ba problema? Di kaya power steering pump?

9. Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Sorry sir mejo magulo ata cnb q, ahm im on almost 200k milage bale nka 97 n q ng natakbo mula nun kinuha un sasakyan from angeles pampangga..

Yes sir rak n xa kc cnubukan q tanggalin un pump tpos pinachek q its working fine.... Kaya alam q rak n tlg, sana my maisuggest po kayo....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

10. Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Sana dumami mga comments para mas marami ideas

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast