The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    US Senate approves Filipino veterans benefits

[SIZE=2]By RODNEY JALECO[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]ABS-CBN North America Bureau[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]It was a momentous day for Filipino World War II veterans. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Officials, Fil-Ams eye House after equity bill wins in US Senate[/SIZE][SIZE=2][SIZE=2]WASHINGTON D.C. - More than six decades after it stripped over 140,000 Filipino World War II veterans of recognition and benefits due them, the US Congress took a huge step to right a wrong, fulfilling a promise to old comrades.[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2][SIZE=2]The US Senate voted 96-1 to pass S-1315, otherwise known as the Veterans Benefits Enhancement Act of 2007, that also contained the Filipino veterans equity bill. [/SIZE][/SIZE]
    more...
    [SIZE=2]The United States Senate on Thursday morning overwhelmingly approved legislation that would give pension benefits to about 18,000 Filipino veterans who fought alongside US forces in the Philippines during World War II.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Voting 96-1, the senators approved S1315 or the Veterans' Benefits Enhancement Act of 2007, which includes the Filipino Veterans’ Equity Bill. The measure is part of a broader bill that would expand health, education, housing and pension benefits for US veterans.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]"It is estimated that 10,000 Filipinos died during the Bataan Death March, along with 3,000 US soldiers," said Senate Veterans' Affairs Committee Chairman Daniel Akaka, a Hawaii Democrat and a chief sponsor of the measure. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]"The Philippines throughout the war suffered great loss of life and tremendous physical damage," he said.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]The final vote was preceded by intense debate between the Democrat proponents of the bill led by Akaka and North Carolina Sen. Richard Burr, author of the proposed amendment that would have excluded thousands of Filipino veterans living in the Philippines. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]The opponents argued that the $300 a month pension was too generous and those veterans still living in the Philippines already receive a pension from their own government.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Of some 470,000 Filipinos who joined with US forces to fight the Japanese, some 18,000 are still living.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]The White House also opposed the Filipino pension measure but even so six Republicans crossed party lines to support S1315 and the full benefits for Filipinos veterans in the Philippines. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Sen. Ted Stevens, an Alaska Republican who opposed Burr's amendment, said the pension benefit for Filipino World War II veterans was long overdue and argued during the Senate debate that the cost would not be all that great.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]"The youngest age involved is 82," said Stevens, who will turn 85 this year. "They are just not going to be with us that long."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]"Anyone who would give you some estimate of billions of dollars that it is going to cost to take care of these people and give them what they were entitled to long ago -- I think it is overestimating it," he added.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Voting 56-41, Burr's amendment was shot down. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]S1315 provides for a special monthly $300 nonservice disability pension to surviving members of the USAFFE (United States Armed Forces in the Far East) and the Filipino scouts living in the Philippines.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Filipino veterans in the US will get the same pension as their American counterparts, whose benefits range from $900 to $1,400 a month depending on their personal circumstances[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]The legislation now goes to the House of Representatives for consideration.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Veterans’ rights activists in the US lauded the Senate vote, saying the US government is on its way to restoring justice and dignity for ageing Filipino veterans. The activists said their next step is to prepare for debates and final vote in the US Congress and convince the White House to support the measure. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]California Rep. Bob Filner has also expressed support for the bill, the group said. With Reuters[/SIZE]
    Source: www.abs-cbnnews.com
    Apr. 25, 2008

At last, benefits for our living heroes
    Last edited by Zeus; April 26th, 2008 at 10:45 AM.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    Source: www.abs-cbnnews.com
    Apr. 25, 2008

At last, benefits for our living heroes
    It's about time. 10 years is a long time coming.

3. Join Date
    May 2007
    Mabuti naman kung ganoon, its a long due ang mga pera na yan. Kung makikita ninyo lang sana ang mga beteranong pinoy ang buhay nila dito nakakaawa. They are old and can no longer work, umaasa lang sila sa SSI na tulong ng gobyerno and barely enought na ikabubuhay nila tapos magpapadala pa sila diyan sa atin sa kanilang mga pamilya. Meron silang tambayan dito at doon nalang sila maghapong naguusap.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    My dad, who is here in Pinas, will benefit from that. Well my personal opinion is, it's too late. Pero sabi nga nila better late than never. But I'm happy for the WWII Pinoy veterans for this major win, they really deserve this one.

Anyway, the Senate win is a big step, I believe it still have to go thru Congress and if Congress approves it, let's hope that whoever the next US President will be will not veto it.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2005

My father who is also living here in the country is also a veteran.

We are not after the $, but the recognition and the realization from the West and the rest of the world, that these brave young men then, barely out of their teens, fought alongside the Americans/Allied Forces, to liberate the free world from the Japanese.

Because they fought tooth and nail vs. the occupational forces, they were able to slow down the advance of the Japanese and gave precious time to the Americans to regroup themselves to stage a comeback in the Pacific war front.

This is long overdue. I just hope that it will reach Pres. Bush's desk soon, so that he can immediately sign The Bill.

OT: I still remember the scene when I was descending on an escalator in one of the 'malls' in the US and heard someone playing 'Kapantay Ay Langit' on the piano, a few years ago. It was a Filipino War Veteran who was playing for his fellow Filipino Veterans who were gathered around. I knew that they were Filipino Veterans because of the headgears that they were wearing. I can feel that they're lonely and longing for home. I greeted them 'Magandang Umaga Po", and they returned the greeting.

It was a forlorn sight, but everytime I go to the US, I always pass by that 'mall' hoping that I can chance on them. Unfortunately, I was only lucky on that day.

To the Filipino Veterans, I salute you for fighting for our freedom!

5909:burn:

aba magandang balita to para sa mga kabayan natin na matagal ng naghihintay.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by v6dreamer View Post
    Mabuti naman kung ganoon, its a long due ang mga pera na yan. Kung makikita ninyo lang sana ang mga beteranong pinoy ang buhay nila dito nakakaawa. They are old and can no longer work, umaasa lang sila sa SSI na tulong ng gobyerno and barely enought na ikabubuhay nila tapos magpapadala pa sila diyan sa atin sa kanilang mga pamilya. Meron silang tambayan dito at doon nalang sila maghapong naguusap.
    sir, tama ka diyan. nakaka-awa talaga ang mga surviving WWII veterans natin. and they are really old, although may mga iba na may nag aalaga sa kanila na family members. pero yung iba, solo flight! may mga ilan din na walang pamilya dito sa US (either na iwan ang family sa Pinas).

but anywayz, kahit dito din may tambayan sila dito (and yes, madami sila at kalat kalat ang lugar nila) pero iisang lugar ang pinaka favorite spot nila.

sa Mc Donalds!!

aite, peace.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    about time is right. the free world owes a debt of gratitude to these fine men and women, the same way we do to the other Allied soldiers of WWII.

in fact, i think we should apologize that it took so long and compensate them for at least some retroactive benefits. as a US taxpayer i can certainly get behind this cause :thumbup:

9. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    OBAMA STIMULUS PLAN
    Filipino war vets to get $198M from US

By Veronica Uy
    INQUIRER.net
    First Posted 16:19:00 02/14/2009

MANILA, Philippines -- (UPDATE 2) About 20,000 surviving Filipino World War II veterans and their dependents are set to receive $198 million in lump sum benefits, as President Barack Obama’s $787-billion stimulus plan passed by US Congress Saturday includes a provision compensating their military service.
    Foreign Affairs Secretary Alberto Romulo and Philippine Ambassador in Washington Willie Gaa hailed the passage of the bill, which allocates $15,000 for a US-based Filipino war veteran and $9,000 for those living elsewhere.
    “I share the profound sense of joy that our nation and especially our Filipino World War II veterans feel with the passage in the US Congress of a law that recognizes their military service and grants them the benefits that they so truly deserve,” Romulo said in a statement e-mailed to media outfits.
    The US Senate voted 60-38 to pass the measure hours after it cleared the House of Representatives by a lopsided 246-183 margin late Friday US time. Obama hailed it as "a major milestone on our road to recovery" and promised to sign it into law shortly.

The measure seeks to correct a 63-year injustice suffered by Filipino veterans who were stripped of benefits such as health care, disability pensions, and burial expenses by the 1946 Rescission Act of the United States.
    “It has been a long and difficult struggle through the decades, but the effort was well worth it. Our brave and selfless veterans have served as a glowing inspiration for all of us and their faith and trust in our efforts have provided all of us a strong motivation to help secure justice for their cause,” Gaa said.
    About 250,000 Filipino soldiers fought alongside US troops during World War II. Only 18,000 to 20,000 remain alive.
    Romulo quoted a section of the stimulus package, also known as the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, as saying that the US “honors its promise to … one of its staunchest allies. The passage of this bill further cements and strengthens the foundations of our deep and historic partnership.”

Both Romulo and Gaa thanked the Filipino veterans’ supporters and advocates in the US Congress, among them Senators Daniel Inouye, Daniel Akaka, Harry Reid, Richard Lugar; former Senator Ted Stevens; Speaker Nancy Pelosi; and Representatives Bob Filner, Darrell Issa, and Mike Honda. He also expressed gratitude to the Philippine-US Friendship Caucus.
    “I would also like to thank all our supporters in the Filipino-American community and most of all, our Filipino World War II veterans who never gave up the fight,” Romulo said.
    “To the Filipino American community, take pride in this moment,” Gaa said. “Your advocacy and activism on this issue through the decades have been instrumental in this achievement.”
    Both Romulo and Gaa also attributed the passage of the veteran provision in the bill to President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo’s strong advocacy and support for it.
    Romulo said the President’s visit to Washington early this month greatly contributed to the fruition of the decades’ long struggle of the Filipino war veterans.
    He said Arroyo’s “visit to Washington early this month came at a crucial time: the provisions on our veterans were in danger of being dropped in the midst of budgetary difficulties and demanding and new priorities.”
    “During that visit, the President met with key Congressional leaders and made a powerful pitch for our veterans,” Romulo said.
    The Philippine embassy in Washington said the average age of Filipino war veterans is 85 and about 10 die every day due to old age and disease

This is aside from the monthly pension I think...
    Last edited by Zeus; February 15th, 2009 at 12:32 PM.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Double post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
US Senate approves Filipino veterans benefits