New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Please post your stories here.

This is from one of our peeps in the musclecar forum:

"My family's fine.

But, my bro lives in Marikina, so his house went under. Water went all the way to the 2nd floor yesterday. Today it went down and it was mud everywhere up to the knees. Good thing they they had a 4x4 to get back. But most of hus stuff in the first floor is gone. Spent the afternoon there shovling the mud out.

But the 26th was quite the ordeal.

Fortunate for him, he and his family were not in their home when it happened. They just came from the hospital cuz their kid was sick. On their way home dropped their kid at the grand parents and went to ther home to assess the damage. That was yesterday afternoon at the hieght of the flooding.

However, I have to give it to him. He was sort of a hero for the residents in the area.

There were no rescuers when they arrived. But families were trapped in their home with flood waters in until the 2nd floor. My bro bravely swam to his house to check their stuff. In doing so, he saw that his neighbors were trapped. No lifeboats or rubber boats in sight. the military was not even there. But, his next door neighbor was stuck with a 3 day old baby in the house. He went to his house and got his kid's inflatable swimming pool. inflated it and ferried his neighbors to higher ground. Mind you, this was in the cinco hermanos area right beside the marikina River.

After ferrying his neighbor, he didn't stop there. He want back with the makeshift lifeboat to get his other neighbors who had kids and ferried them to higher ground. He did this several times for the rest of the residents in the area. He even drove a wounded guy to the hospital. All this he did after having his arm operated on last thursday. This bro of mine was at it until 8pm, cuz that's the only time the military came to help the day (make that night).

When they arrived, he had already ferried most of the families in his compound. Tired and exhausted, he left his makeshift lifeboat/infatable swimmingpol with the military to finish the job.

That's my bro Carld. Proud to have him as a bro.

Good thing tho is that his ranger and coronet were at the shop safe and sound. Unfortunately, his bike collection (except 1) went under as well. But, that's ok. At least he and his family are fine and so are all the people he saved."

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    I salute your bro sir!

Too risky move and its worth after all the pasasalamat from the neighbors who were saved. Sana dumami pa katulad nya.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Isang alamat ang kapatid mo, Gearhead......

Isa pang hero yung 18 yr old teener sa QC, sa Brgy Bagong Silangan. Magallanes ang pangalan. Kaso minalas naman, at nadale rin ni Ondoy. :sad:
    Last edited by chua_riwap; October 4th, 2009 at 04:09 AM.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    *******dp****

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    saved people with an inflatable swimming pool? kudos to your bro!

kudos as well to all other heroes, some lost their lives, and many more unsung heroes whose stories we will never hear

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Rather than writing an article with pictures about the aftermath of the depression, I would like to give hope to our fellow Filipinos that despite the calamities, there is light. Here are some shots of the relief operations being conducted by our fellow Filipinos to bring help to those in need.

And, as it is featured in CustomPinoyRides, no relief operation can be done without the help of our trusty 4×4s. These offroad vehicles plunged ahead on roads which were closed to ordinary traffic because the havoc wreaked by Ondoy. These are not special emergency vehicles, but rather, 4×4s and daily drivers used in our daily commutes to work, or the occassional weekend offroad outings.

http://custompinoyrides.com/2009/10/...ef-operations/

7. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Sarap talaga ng feeling pag nakatulong sa kapwa. Sana laging ganito ang pinoy, nagtutulungan kahit walang bagyo.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by chua_riwap View Post
    Isang alamat ang kapatid mo, Gearhead......

Isa pang hero yung 18 yr old teener sa QC, sa Brgy Bagong Silangan. Magallanes ang pangalan. Kaso minalas naman, at nadale rin ni Ondoy. :sad:
    +1, at sa mga volunteers, government units at mga sundalong tumulong sa mga na salanta ng bagyo

9. Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Calamities do bring out the best and worst of us. Our neighborhood showed that Filipino virtue of "bayanihan" is alive and well with people helping out without expecting any favor.

On the other hand, security was tightened because of looters and plain vandals lurking around. Some cars stalled away from their usual areas were looted and vandalized.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    You can be a hero yourself in your own small way. You can volunteer your SUVs, pick-up trucks, and AUVs, elfs, canters, 4x2 or 4x4 for the delivery of goods. I even know somebody who was a flood victim himself volunteering his Altis for this cause.

If you're willing to help, call Mr. Carlos Celdran, cell no. 0917 8861080. He will register you in his database and will text you the assignment. He coordinates vehicles and donor headquarters and does a great job with it.

There are still enormous tasks to be done.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
The unsung heroes of Ondoy