New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    We passed by the STAR Tollway last Wednesday (18 Apr) because my friend was invited as a Resource Speaker to a convention that was held at Batangas. Then, as we were going home at around 5:00PM-5:45PM, we both noticed this bus that "hugged" the shoulders somewhere between Batangas City Exit - Lipa City Exit. The gesture of this bus driver caught our attention because it showed a discipline which is very seldom. This bus was cruising at (+ -) 60kph, which is the minimum speed at the expressways in our country. Since the road from Batangas City- Lipa City was a 2-liner (salubungan,) no one could overtake instantly. I really do not know the reason why this bus let other cars pass/overtake him/her, but again, it really displayed a sense of discipline for the part of the driver.

The bus guy has really got a "driver-professionalism" since he/she could only go at 80kph at max (legally-speaking) on the Tollway and he's letting the private cars overtake, who could go at 100kph at max (legally-speaking.)

And since we were at the expressway, our focus has to be on the road that's why we forgot to look at the bus company/body number at least, just to note the being "mensch" of their chauffeur. But nonetheless, I salute the guy.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2011
    two thumbs up for the bus driver! we only have a handful of disciplined puv drivers nowadays...

3. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    A little clarification. The bus was riding the shoulder of the Star Tollway? If so, he was courteous for letting you and other faster moving cars pass, but he was placing his passengers in danger by "hugging" the shoulder.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    I agree, that is wrong, the bus driver should not have stayed at the shoulder.. he can stay at the main road and still maintain his 60kph speed..

5. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    hindi naman po talaga dikit and he was still on the smoothly-paved area of the shoulder. it was like he gave an ample space for the other motorists to look at the road for them (us) to overtake or not. 60kph was more of an estimate due to the minimum speed limit at the tollway and i might be wrong with my estimate because we were coming at 90kph (if i remember it correctly.) though i was really thinking that the bus was maybe travelling at a slightly lower speed than 60kph.

STAR Tollway Bus