New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    South Korea gives trucks to Philippine military
    THE PHILIPPINE STAR
    04/11 4:21:35 PM

MANILA (AFP) - South Korea on Wednesday turned over 134 trucks and bulldozers to the poorly equipped Philippine military, highlighting close defence ties between the two countries.

The 127 cargo and dump trucks and seven bulldozers were provided to the Philippines as a grant with Manila paying "token" transport costs of about 72,000 dollars, said military chief General Hermogenes Esperon.

In a ceremony at the Philippine military headquarters in Manila, Esperon told South Korean ambassador Jong Ki Hong that "relations between the two nations defence establishments and armed forces have grown stronger."

The Philippines was one of the nations that provided troops to defend South Korea during the 1950-53 Korean war.

The Philippine military is still battling communist insurgents and Muslim extremists in the hinterlands.
    thanks to our South Korean brothers... :clap:

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Meron ba silang surplus fighter jets? Nakakaawa na talaga ang PAF eh. :D

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hingi kaya tayo sa Taiwan?

Good news indeed... our Army's truck fleet is starting to look kinda pathetic.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Meron ba silang surplus fighter jets? Nakakaawa na talaga ang PAF eh. :D
    The last 2 or 3 F-5A fighters in the PAF were acquired from South Korea in the mid-1990's for the tumataginting sum of $1 each.

Unfortunately all of the F-5's have been decommissioned because maintaining them is too expensive.

I wonder what the Koreans are thinking... they donate TRUCKS. Parang yung number of trucks na yun isang construction company lang yun sa Korea.

We so poor!

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    If one were to look at the act of the S.Korean's donation pessimistically, it looks as if we solved their problems by accepting junks which they have to spend money on if they were to scrap them.

I wonder if those trucks will pass the emissions testing at LTO.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Daewoo, Hyundai o Kia?
    pero i agree with number001 position. mostly, military surplus equipments naman ang tinatanggap natin sa other countries eh. its because, for them, they are either obsolete or very expensive to maintain, and that by replacing them, it would be much cheaper.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by orly_andico View Post
    We so poor!
    Indeed. We are so poor, we can't even manufacture our own needles and safety pins; they have to be imported from China.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Why did it take 50 years for S. Korea to return the favor? It does not look well-appreciated, parang tinatambakan lang tayo ng used junk equipment like others here have pointed out.

The country is basically defenseless, since it cannot even maintain its own military and air space and it has to accept donations from others just to have a constant supply of usable vehicles!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Indeed. We are so poor, we can't even manufacture our own needles and safety pins; they have to be imported from China.
    Are we really that poor, Every day we come across high end vehicles (expedition, lc 100, pajeros lexus and even sequoia) on the road with red plates. or should i say, that there is something wrong with the way our
    goverment provides service vehicle to goverment employees.

i think they should issue/purchase picanto's, norkis, getz etc only

handyman

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    nakakahiya talaga ang state ng military natin,sa airforce lang, yung mga huey helicopters natin ay vintage models na,
    nasabi tuloy nung minsan ng mga sundalong amerikano sa balikatan"wow,those things are still alive, i remember my grandfather piloting one of these!"
    yung jet fighters din nga pala natin, halos lahat grounded.
    sa mga ground units naman haay, ill-equipped din.
    hirap kasi sa atin yung talagang pambili ng equipments and vehicles kinukurakot, kaya eto tayo kahit sino kayang kunin na ang pilipinas.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
South Korea gives trucks to Philippine military