The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    saludo ako saiyo, sana dumami pa ang katulad ninyo pulis
    :clap1::clap1::clap1:

PNP colonel rejects appointment to protest promotion system
    By Cecille Suerte Felipe
    Monday, March 10, 2008 A high-ranking police official has turned down his appointment as police provincial director to denounce what he called “too much politicking” in the Philippine National Police (PNP).

Senior Superintendent Joel Alvarez, director for Operations of the Philippine Center on Transnational Crime (PCTC), rejected his appointment as Camarines Sur provincial director, because, he said, it did not pass the Senior Officers Placement and Promotions Board (SOPPB).

The SOPPB is a unit in the PNP that screens and assesses the qualification of senior police officers recommended to certain positions, from provincial to regional directors.

“The decision of the SOPPB to designate me as the provincial director of Camarines Sur is spurious... It was a reward to quell my indignation that would cause an uproar among the board members and the many beneficiaries of the current promotion and placement system,” said Alvarez in his letter to PNP chief Director General Avelino Razon Jr.

Alvarez has 21 medals of commendation for his achievement in various fields of assignment in his 27 years in the service.
    A number of police officers have also expressed disappointment on influence peddling by some politicians in the appointment of posts in the police, he said.

He added that he wrote separate letters to Razon and Camarines Sur Gov. Luis Raymund Villafuerte, informing them of his refusal to accept the position due to his grievances over the appointment of police officers, often influenced by police generals and politicians.

“It is against my principle to accept such designation because the deliberation proceedings, containing the justification for such selection, have not been made transparent, not only to me, but to my fellow candidates who also deserve the same information,” said Alvarez in his letter to Razon.

In his letter to Villafuerte, the officer said that “while I am thankful for your trust, I nevertheless respectfully decline the designation because of the spurious nature and the questionable integrity of the selection process done by the PNP-SOPPB.”

Alvarez said copies of his letters to Razon and Villafuerte were also sent to the chairman of SOPPB, PNP Deputy Chief for Operations, chiefs of the Directorate for Personnel and Record Management, president of the Philippine Military Academy Class ’81, and Bicol Regional police director.

“In my letter, I outlined my achievements and qualifications, and discussed how I was unjustifiably treated in the selection process, and repeatedly bypassed and deprived of key positions for police senior superintendent. I then volunteered myself to be presented to the SOPPB for deliberation and determination of a position I am qualified to occupy and compete for, together with other deserving candidates,” he said.

While he also asked to be presented to the SOPPB, Alvarez pointed out that “it was never meant to instantaneously secure me a position. It was an appeal to the PNP, especially to the board, to institutionalize and publicize a meritorious and transparent promotion and placement system, guided by a clear and measurable set of criteria to facilitate the objective selection of a deserving candidate during deliberations.”

2. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    This is really one tough decision that he made. This is also common in a workplace.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Our hats off to you Sir!

That move took real guts. It's so refreshing to know that there are still officers in the rank who put aside their selfishness to be a shining example of what true service should be.

For me, he gained something more valuable than the promotion - he gained unparalleled respect and honor not even his superiors would get their entire career.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Memphis Raines View Post
    For me, he gained something more valuable than the promotion - he gained unparalleled respect and honor not even his superiors would get their entire career.
    +1

But now his superiors would brand him as "loser" and it wouldn't be surprising if he suddenly gets assigned in Basilan, hoping he gets abducted by head-chopping bandits.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Patay siya sa mga lintek na mga politiko dahil sa ginawa nya. nevertheless i commend his act. Mahirap gawin ang ginawa nya dahil sa nature ng occupation nya. Kudos sa iyo sir!

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    ayaw niyang pagamit sa mga lintik na pulitiko...

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    a ok.

8. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Saludo po ako sa inyo Col. Alvarez!

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    He should have handled this matter more discreetly, if he wanted to keep his job.

Now, he can kiss his career goodbye, for making his superiors look like a$$holes (perphap they really are). He feels a sacrifice needs to be made, and I hope he didn't waste his in vain.

Nevertheless, his intentions are noble. For that he earns my respect.

For me, I would rather accept the promotion, and change things when I'm the top dog. This way I get real work done, such as reforming the "system", may promotion pa (higher pay)!

10. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kinyo View Post
    +1

But now his superiors would brand him as "loser" and it wouldn't be surprising if he suddenly gets assigned in Basilan, hoping he gets abducted by head-chopping bandits.
    The superiors may call him a loser but he will have the respect of the rank and file.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
PNP colonel rejects appointment to protest promotion system