New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2007
    thumbs up to efren penaflorida.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    It is a good thing that Filipinos are recognized abroad for their greatness.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    [SIZE=3]may thread na pala para kay Efren Penaflorida.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Pasok na siya sa top 10 ngayon, and he has a chance to become 2009 CNN Hero. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]I'd rather give my voteS for him instead of those trapos drooling for elective positions.[/SIZE]

Read:

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/cnn.heroes/index.html

and

[SIZE=3]http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/cnn.heroes/vote/thank.you.html?ID=06[/SIZE]

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Any way to contact his organization? I'm thinking of going back to the
    Philippines next year and hoping to do voluntary work whenever I have free time.

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    top 10! wow!

*negus, may the likes of you thrive. kudos!

6. Join Date
    Jun 2009
    *UPDATE*

Metro
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]Can Pinoy teacher make it as CNN's Hero of the Year?[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2]By Rhodina Villanueva[/SIZE][SIZE=2] (The Philippine Star) Updated November 10, 2009[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]Efren Penaflorida Jr. teaches children at a rally organized by his supporters at the Mall of Asia yesterday. MANNY MARCELO[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]MANILA, Philippines - Family and friends, as well as the street children taught by teacher Efren Peñaflorida Jr. gathered at the SM Mall of Asia music hall yesterday to encourage the public to vote for him as CNN’s Hero of the Year.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]At least 1,000 supporters of Peñaflorida showed up at the rally, with Internet booths set up on site for those who want to log on to www.CNN.com/Heroes and cast their vote for the 28-year-old teacher, who grabbed the limelight after being chosen from 9,000 nominees from 100 countries as one of CNN’s top 10 heroes for 2009.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]CNN’s heroes are ordinary citizens accomplishing extraordinary deeds. Votes can be cast until Nov. 18.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Peñaflorida said what he wanted was to simply help poor and underprivileged children get access to education, even through non-traditional means.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]A co-founder of the Dynamic Teen Company (DTC) – a group of teen volunteers who teach street children basic reading and writing – Peñaflorida said he was inspired by his teachers to eventually join their ranks and share his passion for knowledge in and outside the formal classroom setting.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]“Before, what I really wanted is to become an engineer but my teachers were my inspiration, they made me appreciate their job so that it was the same profession I pursued,” he said.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]While teaching full-time at the Palmridge School in Imus, Cavite, Peñaflorida and other volunteers took time out every Saturday to teach street children.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]He said the teaching sessions are conducted every morning and every afternoon in at least four sites in Cavite on Saturdays.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]“In the morning, sessions are held in the marketplace and in the dumpsite while in the afternoon, teaching activity takes place in the cemetery and in the Badjao community,” Peñaflorida said as he noted that so far, they already have 348 children who are officially enrolled in their “pushcart classroom program” – though overall, 1,700 kids are benefiting from the group’s advocacy.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]The children, aged two to 14, flock to the pushcart every Saturday to learn reading, writing, arithmetic and English from Peñaflorida and the other volunteers.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Peñaflorida’s group has been doing this for the past 12 years, with their pushcart classroom stocked with books, pens, tables and chairs.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]“What we also wanted is to divert the attention of these children for them not to engage in vices and bad deeds and become productive members of the society,” he said.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]The group has also sent promising children to formal school, among them a former pickpocket and solvent addict, gang members, street beggars and abandoned children. Some of these former street children are now young professionals who devote their spare time to DTC as volunteers.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Apart from Cavite, the “pushcart classroom program” is also being conducted by the group’s 10,000 volunteers in Nueva Ecija and Zamboanga.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Even with the unexpected fame, this simple Caviteño remains humble. “I am just an ordinary guy. It was just fortunate that I was given this chance and that my group’s advocacy was given recognition. But anyone of us can be a hero. In our own little ways, we can serve as a hero to our fellow Filipinos,” Peñaflorida who hails from Caridad, Cavite City, said.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Peñaflorida will receive $25,000 for being in the top 10 and is eligible for the $100,000 award bestowed on CNN’s hero of the year later this month at a star-studded gala in Hollywood.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Peñaflorida plans to use “90 percent of my prize in expanding the program of DTC while 10 percent I will donate to church.”[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Hosted by CNN’s Anderson Cooper and taped at the famed Kodak Theatre, CNN Heroes: An All-Star Tribute will air on Nov. 26 at 9 p.m.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Meanwhile, the Senate approved last night Resolution 971, which congratulates and commends Peñaflorida for providing access to alternative education to street children and out-of-school youths in the country. – With Christina Mendez[/SIZE]

^1,000 + 1 (count me in).

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Makikita mo talaga na may malasakit siya sa mga kapus palad na bata, hindi tulad ng iba plastic! Mabuhay si Efren
    Last edited by Zeus; November 10th, 2009 at 05:53 PM.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Can Pinoy teacher make it as CNN's Hero of the Year?
    Meanwhile, the Senate approved last night Resolution 971, which congratulates and commends Peñaflorida for providing access to alternative education to street children and out-of-school youths in the country. – With Christina Mendez

Ano'ng reso-resolution pa?.... Ibigay na lang ninyo ang mga kurak*t ninyo sa mga ganitong gawain,- para pakinabangan ng taong bayan!

8900:painting:

9. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    I'm voting for him everyday dahil wala naman limit sa pag-vote.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Meanwhile, the Senate approved last night Resolution 971, which congratulates and commends Peñaflorida for providing access to alternative education to street children and out-of-school youths in the country. – With Christina Mendez
    If the stupid government did its job properly then we wont even need guys like Penaflorida.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast