New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    Just a thought:
    If you don't mind the intake noise, why not place the air intake next to the evaporator inside the car. 1. For cleaner air quality- the same air you would be breathing, 2. With the air conditioner on, the intake air temperature would be colder and more dense.
    may napanood akong video sa youtube, umangat yun measurement nung equipment nila nung nilagyan ng extension yung intake sa labas ng auto. di ko nga lang alam kung ano yun tumaas ^_^

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Just a thought:
    If you don't mind the intake noise, why not place the air intake next to the evaporator inside the car. 1. For cleaner air quality- the same air you would be breathing, 2. With the air conditioner on, the intake air temperature would be colder and more dense.
    Most definitely. Backfires would also be much more fun. It'll sure help sear off those unwanted leg hairs on the Mrs.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Most definitely. Backfires would also be much more fun. It'll sure help sear off those unwanted leg hairs on the Mrs.
    with diesel engine equipped cars and since the advent of electronic gasoline fuel injection, i have never heard of engine backfire. if you have, let us know what vehicle and what engine. also, with electronic fuel injection, i haven't heard of dieseling or engine running on with the ignition shut off, if you have experienced one, please let us know.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Just a thought:
    it will probably result in a warmer passenger cabin. because the intake keeps sucking cool air from the cabin, warmer, outside air will come in.
    it will probably be not an issue in places where where temp is cooler, but in the phils, it will probably be an issue.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

like driving with a window open, even if partially.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    it will probably result in a warmer passenger cabin. because the intake keeps sucking cool air from the cabin, warmer, outside air will come in.
    it will probably be not an issue in places where where temp is cooler, but in the phils, it will probably be an issue.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

like driving with a window open, even if partially.
    I'm pretty sure the post was made in jest. ;)

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the post was made in jest. ;)
    jick? jesting?

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r2 View Post
    ^
    I've posted the same concerns re: oiled filters several times on this board. It is also discussed at length in various forums. Not just K&N but most other aftermarket CAI as well. Another major concern aside from filtration ability is the possibility of loose oil being deposited onto your MAF sensor, eventually destroying it.

This is another good resource:
    "Cold-air intakes" and "high-flow air filter" FAQ - TDIClub Forums

Not really trying to dissuade people from using it as well, I just hope people who use it are better informed of the potential risks.

That's only a myth. They are just using FEAR to scare you to keep buying overpriced paper filter. Did the "so called experts" showed you any Scientific evidence to prove their theory? May air filter din naman na washable na hindi oil type.

"If you don't control your mind someone else will"

2 ang maaring daanan ng air papasok sa engine, sa Air Filter at EVAP Canister Vent.

I'm using Washable Oil Type Air Filter for more than 15 years and I never experienced a single engine failure. Once lang ako nagkaroon ng konting problema noong first time kong linisin at magrecharge ng oil sa filter. It's either na di pa masyadong dry yung air filter nang nilagyan ko ng oil or baka sobrang dami ng oil na nailagay ko. I'm still using the stock MAF Sensor until now. A Cheap Generic Scantool will give you access to MAF Sensor PID.

MAF PID * hot idle no engine load
    4.0-5.1g/s
    0.52-0.67lb/min
    0.6-0.9 DC Volts

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    jick? jesting?
    Well, he's not a robot. I'm sure he's still capable of a little humor. Otherwise, that's probably going to be the one single bad advice coming from him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by desertst0rm View Post
    That's only a myth. They are just using FEAR to scare you to keep buying overpriced paper filter. Did the "so called experts" showed you any Scientific evidence to prove their theory? May air filter din naman na washable na hindi oil type.

"If you don't control your mind someone else will"

2 ang maaring daanan ng air papasok sa engine, sa Air Filter at EVAP Canister Vent.

I'm using Washable Oil Type Air Filter for more than 15 years and I never experienced a single engine failure. Once lang ako nagkaroon ng konting problema noong first time kong linisin at magrecharge ng oil sa filter. It's either na di pa masyadong dry yung air filter nang nilagyan ko ng oil or baka sobrang dami ng oil na nailagay ko. I'm still using the stock MAF Sensor until now. A Cheap Generic Scantool will give you access to MAF Sensor PID.

MAF PID * hot idle no engine load
    4.0-5.1g/s
    0.52-0.67lb/min
    0.6-0.9 DC Volts
    There is truth to it naman. Given the same surface area, better flow will always come at the expense of filtration. Di naman masisira agad yung engine but definitely bigger particles will get past and cause more wear. Impossible to know by how many kms it will reduce engine life but to be conservative, the potential to do more harm than oem is there. While you may be able to have run the engine for X km without problems, it may run for X + 100TKms if on oem. That's not even accounting for oil on the maf sensor.

The only benefit I see that attracts most people to K&N is the promise of lower cost. Most oem filters flow more than enough air for the engine.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r2 View Post

The only benefit I see that attracts most people to K&N is the promise of lower cost. Most oem filters flow more than enough air for the engine.
    I purchase K&N drop-ins precisely because it's reusable and pays for itself in the long run.

As for MAF sensor issues, we've been using K&N since the 90s and so far i've only had one MAF sensor problem and this was with my 2007 Corolla at 120,000kms. I doubt it was due to oil contamination although we also regularly clean our MAF sensors. A more probable cause could be the poorly designed and mounted air intake tube and MAF sensor mount as we used a K&N cone filter for this unit.

Another thought is possibly some put too much oil when they "recharge" the filter?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast