New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Grabe, something's really messed up in that unit. Seems like at least two failures in that moment. Internally shifting to R on its own, and high revving on its own.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2004
    I think it will be almost impossible to get a full refund. Siguro if they deduct the depreciation, baka pwede pa pumasa.

Is this defect on the APV the first documented case? Or have there been any serious quality issues on the APV?

feeling ko may nagalaw sa unit mo noong naservice yan.

sa casa, walang hands-on ang owner tsaka mostly mga OJTs ang gagawa ng sasakyan,e..

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I've heard of this happening to a few cars of different make, and I've seen it happen to an SUV (not sure which... was quite a long time ago) at the CCP.

The throttle becomes stuck wide open (I have no idea why) and the transmission goes nuts. I suppose there's a glitch in the transmission cable adjustment that put the car in reverse even while it was in Park.

Also, note that the trigger mechanism that prevents the car from starting in gear is on the shifter itself, not in the transmission. So if the shifter is in "P", even if the cable is incorrectly set and it's in "R", the car can still start, because the shift lever is in the "P" position.

It was scary at the CCP. The vehicle started revving wildly, and the driver couldn't shut it off (since the car was in gear)... went into reverse trying to get it into "P", slammed into the car behind him... then he tried putting it into neutral, got it into "D" and slammed the car in front of him. Locked up the axle and the engine died. Scary sh*t.
    I can imagine, this is indeed scary sh*t. and if you live in a place like antipolo and theres no car to stop you...

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Let's not jump the gun here. The last time somthing similar happened in the U.S., Audi almost lost the market. Not because they had bad products, but because they were already pre-judged by the public. It took them a good ten plus years to get their reputation back and even up to now, the claim of 'Audi Sudden Accelaration Syndrome' has not been proven.

Granting that the vehicle starts to drive itself, the service brakes of the vehicle are perfectly capable of holding a vehicle still even at wide open throttle. Add to this that service brakes are a tandem system wherein the chance of four wheel brake failure is almost nil because of the redundancy of the system (there will be at least two functional brakes left in an emergency). And there are also the parking brakes which are also capable of holding the vehicle at a standstill even at wide open throttle provided they are PROPERLY engaged.

Then there's always the last ditch thing of just turning the key off.

This is not to say there is or there is no problem with the unit. I'm just saying that the whole sequence of events that occured after the claimed sudden acceleration could have been handled by the driver in a prompt and correct fashion without causing undue harm to the vehicle and it's occupants.

I do not mean to question the thread starter or his intentions that's why I'm in favor of an investigation. Maybe it was not actually Suzuki at fault? Maybe it was one of their franchised dealers or their service contractor? Maybe it was even driver error? This is not like those Honda bird poop Civics wherein you could pretty much blame Honda because it was Honda who applied the paint on the units.

There are quite a lot of odd claims going on around so it's best to keep a keen eye. In the U.S. a woman was claiming that her Kia Sephia would start driving itself and she could not control it. Later it seemed more like a case of buyer's remorse when she learned there were other better deals around and she just wanted Kia to refund her that's why she's claiming the vehicle was defective.

A bit closer to home, someone is complaining that the unleaded gasoline sold by one of the major oil companies destroyed her vehicle's fuel filter and she is claiming for damages. A fellow Tsikoteer works in said company. Should we also take this claim at face value and just give her a new engine or whatever that lady car owner was claiming for?

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    +1 on what OTEP said.

And to reiterate, the emergency/parking brakes are capable of holding a vehicle ,moreso that the APV is a RWD vehicle, provided that they are fully deployed/engaged.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    hard to believe...all our cars are AT and la pa kme naexperience na ganyan..some are old pa..medyo improbable nga..IMO

Quote Originally Posted by alwayz_yummy
    FYI, an A/T will only start ONLY on 2 positions on the lever-> P at N
    Not all cars, the Xtrail ONLY starts when the lever is at "P".

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    tsk..tsk..

strange incident needs thorough investigation.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    scary stuff

Quote Originally Posted by ILuvDetailing View Post
    Not all cars, the Xtrail ONLY starts when the lever is at "P".
    same goes for the jazz and civic fd

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Suzuki Apv Buyers.......beware!