New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Hi Folks,

Is it normal for the engine oil on a new (600KM mileage) Swift 1.2 AT to smell like fuel? I just did a dipstick check and noticed that the oil had a strong smell of petrol fuel. Color and viscousity seem normal, although slightly dark.

Different forums say this can be a bad leak or could be normal for a direct injection engine. I was hoping it happens during the first 1km.

I'm actually not sure if the Swift is a direct injection. Also, I have no other car to compare right now, and have only driven diesels before.

Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Is the lube oil volume higher? Does the tail pipe emit black smoke on start ups?

3. Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    Is the lube oil volume higher? Does the tail pipe emit black smoke on start ups?
    Thanks for the reply, Sir Jick.

No black smoke. And the oil volume does not seem to be higher. Actualy, it seems to be lower (right in the middle of the two notches) as when I checked around two weeks ago.

I do drive through a lot of stop and go traffic, having to drive between QC and Makati. That could be the culprit.

I usually need a few seconds to crank up the engine, not as instantaneous as I would expect a new car in our tropical weather to start. But that may be normal for the Swift.

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Have the oxygen sensor signal observed on an oscilloscope. Have the fuel pressure checked both on KOEO and KOER( key off engine off and key on engine running)

The car should still be on warranty. Just suggest the test to the dealership technicians.
    Last edited by jick.cejoco; December 30th, 2015 at 02:41 PM.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Have the oxygen sensor signal observed on an oscilloscope. Have the fuel pressure checked both on KOEO and KOER( key off engine off and key on engine running)

The car should still be on warranty. Just suggest the test to the dealership technicians.
    Thanks, Sir. Is this an urgent test I should do, or can it wait until the 1st preventive maintenance at 1km?

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    If the MIL (malfunction indicator light) flashes while you drive, yes it is urgent.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2015
    If the MIL (malfunction indicator light) flashes while you drive, yes it is urgent.
    Thanks again, Sir Jick. Ala pa naman MIL na umilaw. I really need the car in the next few days. Will try to take it to the dealership soon as I can.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It is most likely from running rich while idling in hot traffic. One way to check if this is the case is to simply pull your plugs and check the color (see if they're red or black... if they're black... then yes, you're running rich... meaning there's a lot of unburned fuel left in the cylinder after each ignition cycle... and that fuel washes into the oil). You could adjust the heat range of the plugs you're using, but since the car is so new, it's best to defer to the dealership. You're paying for a warranty, might as well use it. ;)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    It is most likely from running rich while idling in hot traffic. One way to check if this is the case is to simply pull your plugs and check the color (see if they're red or black... if they're black... then yes, you're running rich... meaning there's a lot of unburned fuel left in the cylinder after each ignition cycle... and that fuel washes into the oil). You could adjust the heat range of the plugs you're using, but since the car is so new, it's best to defer to the dealership. You're paying for a warranty, might as well use it. ;)
    Thanks, Niky. I will let the dealership look into that when I visit for the 1k preventive maintenance soon. Just curious though -- is adjusting heat range related to increasing the gap in the spark plugs or do I need to purchase new plugs?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by muddiedknees View Post
    Thanks, Niky. I will let the dealership look into that when I visit for the 1k preventive maintenance soon. Just curious though -- is adjusting heat range related to increasing the gap in the spark plugs or do I need to purchase new plugs?
    I wouldn't touch the gap, especially since you have never done it before.

Running one heat range hotter can help... but you will have to ask the dealer and check your manual to see if the engine will accept it.

Better yet, just find the time to exercise the engine every now and then. Run it through the rev range (under load... while accelerating... just revving it in the garage won't help that much) so that the fuel deposits in the cylinders burn off. The problem with running the car ONLY in the city is that you often will not get a proper burn off while idling in Manila-level traffic.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast