New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2010
    Hi guys, I recently bought a slightly used grand vitara and immediately fell in love with it. But now, reality starts to settle in. The fuel consumption is horrible. There are times that I get 5 to 6 km/l. Itried a few tricks but one seemed to work. While driving on busy road, I toggled D3 or 3, whichever you want to call it. It gave me better FC than what I previously had at 8 or 9 km/l. I would love to hear some of the Vitara owners if they have the same experience. I would also like to know if this is safe for the engine. 😊

2. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by effsandoval View Post
    Hi guys, I recently bought a slightly used grand vitara and immediately fell in love with it. But now, reality starts to settle in. The fuel consumption is horrible. There are times that I get 5 to 6 km/l. Itried a few tricks but one seemed to work. While driving on busy road, I toggled D3 or 3, whichever you want to call it. It gave me better FC than what I previously had at 8 or 9 km/l. I would love to hear some of the Vitara owners if they have the same experience. I would also like to know if this is safe for the engine. 2016 Grand Vitara Fuel efficiency hack?
    Hi Sir!

Better join Vitara Club Philippines Facebook page. There's a bunch of GV owners there who share the same sentiment of fuel consumption.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk
    iam3739.com

3. Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Hi guys, I recently bought a slightly used grand vitara and immediately fell in love with it. But now, reality starts to settle in. The fuel consumption is horrible. There are times that I get 5 to 6 km/l. Itried a few tricks but one seemed to work. While driving on busy road, I toggled D3 or 3, whichever you want to call it. It gave me better FC than what I previously had at 8 or 9 km/l. I would love to hear some of the Vitara owners if they have the same experience. I would also like to know if this is safe for the engine. 😊
    D3 uses only gears 1-3... Recommended to use during heabry, stop and go traffic for a smoother drive

It is unisual to be more fuel efficient than using all gears, as higher gears are more fuel efficient

I doubt the way you measured and compared yoir fuel consumptconsumption. Better re-do measurements.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SidCoronel View Post
    D3 uses only gears 1-3... Recommended to use during heabry, stop and go traffic for a smoother drive

It is unisual to be more fuel efficient than using all gears, as higher gears are more fuel efficient

I doubt the way you measured and compared yoir fuel consumptconsumption. Better re-do measurements.
    Experienced the same thing on my old Civic FD.

The reason D3 can be fuel efficient in city-driving conditions is because the clutch on 3rd gear does not immediately disengage when you release the gas pedal, allowing the engine to keep turning without using any fuel (fuel injector shut-off).

At the same time, this also provides some engine braking, regulating your speed and useful when approaching a traffic light or intersection.

On highway speeds, it's best to use D to get to the full range of your gears.

To understand how fuel injector shut-off works, see the video I made below. Observe that when I release the gas pedal, fuel usage goes to zero. This behavior becomes more apparent when I play around shifting from D to D3.

It's taken from a Civic but the principle is pretty much universal on most modern fuel-injected vehicles.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2017
    You can also try installing/using the following (worked for all my cars - Mazda, Mitsubishi Grandis, Audi)
    - K&N drop in filter
    - NGK Iridium spark plugs
    - Full Synthetic motor Oil (I use Royal Purple or Motul 5w-40)
    - Gas engine cleaner - additive

Hope it works for you too.