New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2007
    Hi guys! So the front disc rotors of my car have worn-out and apparently they are thin already, as in it has a "kanto" sa edges (sorry for the noob language)

not my pic but the kanto looks somewhat like this:

Mechanic advised me to replace the rotors already. Thing is, the car really really needs to be driven from the talyer to my place for some reason. Can I still do this? What are the chances that my front rotors will collapse or whatever? PLEASE HELP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 040420081889.jpg  

2. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    hindi ba makuha yan sa resurface?

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RVRSSG2.0 View Post
    Hi guys! So the front disc rotors of my car have worn-out and apparently they are thin already, as in it has a "kanto" sa edges (sorry for the noob language)

Mechanic advised me to replace the rotors already. Thing is, the car really really needs to be driven from the talyer to my place for some reason. Can I still do this? What are the chances that my front rotors will collapse or whatever? PLEASE HELP
    along the circumference of the hub of the rotor or within the inboard unmachined surface is marked the minimum thickness for the rotor. if it is cast with the rotor, it will be embossed, if it is on the hub, it will be stamp engraved in millimeters or in thousandths of an inch

4. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    pwede pa naman ata pa-resurface yan sa machine shop..though meron din naman surplus shop na may chop-chop na may binebenta ganyan..yung nga lang whole assembly kasama hub and springs pati brake calipers. dunno kung pwede tingiin, yun rotor lang ang kukunin.

5. Join Date
    May 2007
    Thanks for the responses, guys! Mechanic did resurfacing already, and as per his advice, as much as possible huling resurfacing na daw yung ginawa niya since the rotors are thin na nga. Just wanna know what could go wrong if the car is driven despite having really thin rotors.

We are really going to replace the rotors that's for sure. Thing is, kailangan lang talaga siya madala sa place ko tomorrow morning. Shop is in Banawe area while my place is in Pasay Taft area. Kaya pa kaya?

Sorry, super noob when it comes to brakes.
    Last edited by RVRSSG2.0; May 8th, 2013 at 12:42 AM.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I did resurfacing twice on my boxtype rotors resulting on a thinner surface area, whenever my pads gets too thin, they just fell off! Lusot ang preno!

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Here's a good read about the subject: The Consequences of Not Replacing Worn Brake Rotors | eHow.com

In most cases, you'll be fine driving with a worn rotor (no strctural damage) in city driving and at moderate speeds. But don't procrastinate... Replace them as soon as possible.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    resurfacing will make the already thin rotor even thinner

lalim ng preno nyan (pedal)

the risk is -- like someone said above -- the brake pads might fall off

9. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    You are better off replacing it with a new one ( repl japan or thai brands). These cost around P900-P1,500/pc. Upgrading it with Runstop crossdriiled/slotted rotors is a better idea as this will give you better braking performance even with stock pads. They cost around P6,000/pair. Refacing a rotor disc is a temporary fix that makes it thinner and become prone to warping. Sooner or later you will change your rotors. So replacing it is a better option. The dictum is you have to install a NEW, good quality brake pads with a brandnew or newly resurfaced rotor. Why, you may ask, the aswer is to have a good brakepad-rotor disc interface that is in full contact after they "bed-in". This will give a better braking performance.....

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RVRSSG2.0 View Post

they didn't fail on the way to the talyer, did they? so i expect them to survive the trip back to the house. in fact, i think you can still drive around with them for some time, until you can source funds for replacement, if they do need replacement. and if you do not manhandle your brakes, by their nature and design, i figure they will last even longer than you expect. but like the others said, find out if they have gone beyond the specified thickness..
    but check your pad thickness.. they might be too thin and need replacement: thin rotor + thin pad = pads fall off!

btw, due to the nature and design of disk brakes, almost all of us drive around with "kantos" of varying heights, around our disc brakes.
    Last edited by dr. d; May 13th, 2013 at 07:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast