New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    ^2 common types of brake system:
    1. conventional (front circuit, rear circuit)- usually on front engine, rear wheel driven cars.
    2. split diagonal - usually found on front drive, front engined cars

the front brakes is usually the first to bite and the other circuit will also bite under relatively heavy braking. hydraulic control is also utilized by using proportioning valves (load sensing types, etc) so as not to add the braking force by driver, prevent the rear wheels skidding on sudden braking, etc.

i usually check my left front wheel and at the same time, an inspection of the wheel bearing too. if it's good then probably the other brakes are good provided no physical leaks

Thanks sir.

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    i also prefer brake pads that do not have the warning tabs. the tab scratches the rotor when it's about time to replace. i still prefer the periodic checking rather than rely on the tabs.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    i also prefer brake pads that do not have the warning tabs. the tab scratches the rotor when it's about time to replace. i still prefer the periodic checking rather than rely on the tabs.
    yearly ba?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    In line with the changing of brake pads, how often is the replacement of brake fluid done? Is there a specific odometer reading that we should follow and telling us that it is about time to replaced the whole brake fluid? nawawala ba ang efficiency ng brake fluid pag tumagal that's why we had to replaced it?

5. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    "Generally, the type of driving should influence when to change brake fluid. If the vehicle is used for towing, driving in mountainous regions, driven at high speeds or has ABS brakes, it would be best to change the fluid at 2% water content. All vehicles should have the brake fluid changed when the water exceeds 3%.

Many motor vehicle companies recommend changing brake fluid every 12 months, others recommend changing every 24 months. The amount of moisture that brake fluid absorbs depends on a number of factors including the type of fluid, humidity, type of brake hoses, condition of the seals and mileage.

Generally, brake fluid will absorb 1% or more moisture per year of service life. A two year old car will have 2-3% water in the brake fluid. 2% water reduces the boiling point of DOT3 brake fluid by approximately 135 degrees Fahrenheit (75 degrees Celsius). 2% water in DOT4 brake fluid reduces boiling point by 81 degrees Fahrenheit (45 degrees Celsius")....Quoted from Misco - When To Change Brake Fluid

6. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    ^

So, moisture in the brake fluid will greatly affect the boiling point of the fluid. That explains why. Does the low boiling point means directly affecting the braking power?

7. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    ^opo, kasi when there's water in the brake line and it boils, it will create bubbles and/or gasses. brake fluid is non-compressible, while gasses/air does. so pag me gas/air sa linya, you would have a spongy feeling brake.

anyway, dali lang naman mag-check ng brake pads/ brake shoes. basta meron ka lang automotive tire jack (whether crocodile type or yung me gulong), and tire wrench... masilip mo na kung manipis na ba pads/shoes mo. kahit nga magpalit, madali lang din. if you would do it, makatipid ka na sa labor, kasi yung pads and shoes mura lang din. bendix gen ct pads eh P680-800 lang... while ang bendix brake shoes eh P900-950 naman. yung mga generic pads (like rico) almost P400-450 lang, while sa brake shoes P500-600 din. these are for my altis '03, pero they're ballpark figures already for other cars (esp. sedans) too.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    ^

Thanks sir! I guess I have to really drain my brake fluid and replaced it with a new fluid. Silipin ko ung brake pads on my next tyre rotation. Bendix brand ang maganda pag brake pads? bakit kailangan palitan pati brake shoe? diba holder lang ito ng brake pads?

9. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Maraming magandang brake pads... pero relatively safe ka na sa Bendix. Depende rin syempre how you use your car, and the condition of your rotors. Brake shoes po yung sa rear drum brakes, katapat naman ng pads para disk brakes pang-front.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gearhead000 View Post
    Maraming magandang brake pads... pero relatively safe ka na sa Bendix. Depende rin syempre how you use your car, and the condition of your rotors. Brake shoes po yung sa rear drum brakes, katapat naman ng pads para disk brakes pang-front.

Thanks for the clarification on the brake shoe sa rear drumbrake pala ito. Same lang ba when you say brake lining and brake pads?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast