New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hi peeps, has anyone experienced this on these tires?

It goes like this, palabas kami ng misis ko ng condo namen. Sa basement kami nakapark, and the road was wet because it was raining outside and the water was somehow pouring down the ramp. A fourth of the way up the ramp, napansin kong di kumakapit yung gulong, as in it was spinning. I just kept on the gas, kumapit naman fortunately, so nakaakyat ako. I'm driving a Jimny on the stock tires, Bridgestone H/T. I find it odd kasi makapal pa yung gulong, I'd say 90% sa front, 80% sa likod.

Are these tires crap? Should I change it now?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    well, mukhang malakas ang bagsak pala ng tubig... oks naman ung H/T... i've used them in some muddy trails na steep... kumakapit naman.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    If the concrete is painted, tires will slip when wet. They have to have dimples and indentations for the tires to grip, kasi kung completely flat surface siya walang kakapitan ang gulong and this will cause loss of control at the worst case.

You probably have traction control equipment in your car. If you didn't, keeping on the gas will actually cause it to slip more. FWIW, I have new tires on my car and when it rains and I floor it from a dead stop (stop light), I can feel the back end fishtailing. This is even with a diesel. It really helps if you have traction control equipment or LSD differential to put the force down on the ground when it's really needed, rather than have wheelspin.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    * mazdamazda: Malakas nga yung flow ng tubig, tas may standing water pa leading to the ramp.

* mbeige: Actually yung surface nung ramp is dimpled, yung parang square blocks na mukhang chocolate bar ang taas. Mukhang smooth yung surface though, i.e. yung tops nung small squares. What I did was I let off the gas a little (wala namang oto sa likod ko fortunately) then I stepped gently.

Would shifting to 4WD help in such a case, i.e. before going up the wet ramp?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    pangit yang "dimpled square blocks" sa mga ramp... even yung sedan namin with grippier tires ay dumudulas minsan.

and mas ok kung naka 4h ka siguro.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    pangit yang "dimpled square blocks" sa mga ramp... even yung sedan namin with grippier tires ay dumudulas minsan.

and mas ok kung naka 4h ka siguro.
    Hassle nga eh, ngayon lang nangyari sa akin to! Sige I'll just shift to 4H paakyat when it's wet.

Was browsing through the old threads below (one of those you started), did you change the tires on your RAV4? I'm thinking now of upgrading to better tires...BF Goodrich sana kaso last I heard they closed shop in the Philippines; or kung may budget Pirelli Scorpions (ambisyon). What's a good tire on a Jimny?
    Last edited by Tifosi; June 1st, 2007 at 05:52 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    nope... still using the same bridgestone dueler h/t... am quite satisfied with it... maganda ang balance between on-road & off-road.

remember also na iba-ibang series yung dueler h/t, pinaka crap yung naka kabit sa gen2 crv

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^ Check ko nga yung nakakabit sa oto. 846 series yung nasa gen 2 CRV di ba?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    medyo madulas nga sa wet roads ang dueler h/t lalung lalu na when going up parking ramps na spiral. I changed mine to dueler a/t. Yung jimny mo naman has 4WD so you dont need to change tires, just put it in 4H. Kung rear wheel drive naman thats going to be a problem, like what happened to me one rainy afternoon sa shangrila carpark, talagang ayaw na umakyat and one of the guards lets me use the use the exit lane para lang may bwelo

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yup... slip it into 4H. The problem with front-engined, rear wheel drive cars is that there's not enough weight on the back tires on ramps (oddly enough... because the weight of the engine is pushing down on the front tires) to provide you enough push if the concrete is wet... The "dimpled blocks" help channel water out, but if the tops are wet, that just means you're driving on less surface area... and that surface area is still wet.

That's why Porsches are awesome in the snow... the weight of the engine is over the rear tires, giving them more traction than front-engined rear-wheel-drive cars and theoretically more than front-wheel drive cars, too (but not more control)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Wheel slip on Bridgestone H/T tires