New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Let me clarify my needs a bit. I'm looking for 205/65 R15 tires. The list above represents tires I have found that may suit my needs.

I have a rwd car and these will be used for the fronts in good weather (November-June maybe?). I have my current set of street radials for foul weather. Since my car is rwd, these tires won't be tasked with launches. They won't spend much time at highway speeds. Basically stoplight to stoplight duties only. I guess it's not really traction I'm looking for but more of braking performance. Yung cornering stability, wish list lang.....not really necessary....

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    XM-1 and AR10 are entry level tires so expect them to be built for mileage more than grip. XM-1 has a very soft sidewall, grip is so-so for me, but much better than Yokohama Aspecs. P6 has had bad reviews abroad, enough to scare me into not trying them.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Ah. If it's braking that's a priority... again, don't get the cheap tires. Most "fuel saving" tires suck under braking, and the XM1 is probably one of the worst I've ever experienced in this regard. I have a full set on one car... Want to get rid of them, but tread life is too good... Michelin Energy Savers have terrible braking grip.

On your list, the LM and C-Drive will fill out your needs nicely. Federals are available in lots of places, and are really cheap. I had 595 SSs before and hated them, but the new ones feel better (I've driven a friend's car on them) and will do for spirited driving, decent grip, firm sidewalls. You can also try Kumho Ecsta SPTs... as they're quite grippy for the price. The only problem is a soft sidewall... which is not great for track use... but if you ever need to do that, you can simply just pump them up.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Thanks everyone for the opinions. I tried looking for Federal and Kumho in my size. No luck, unfortunately. I ended up getting the Yokohamas this afternoon. I was leaning towards them even before I posted AND the dealer just received a shipment in my size yesterday AND Yokohama announced a price increase for next week AND the dealer gave me a great price. I hope they meet my needs.....

5. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Ah. If it's braking that's a priority... again, don't get the cheap tires. Most "fuel saving" tires suck under braking, and the XM1 is probably one of the worst I've ever experienced in this regard. I have a full set on one car... Want to get rid of them, but tread life is too good... Michelin Energy Savers have terrible braking grip.
    Patay, just got a set of XM-1s for our Innova. Are they that bad from new or do they get progressively worse? Steering and handling seems vague but braking is still much better than the stock Yoko Aspecs.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Car: Ford Focus 1.6 Trend MT
    OEM Tires: V-rated 195/65R15 Goodyear Eagle NCT5

I'm looking for good affordable replacement tires (hopefully not much more expensive than the P4K OEM Goodyear Eagle NCT5.)

For now these are the two options I have:
    Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max (est P4.2K)
    Yokohama C.Drive 2 (est P3.8K)

Any recommended Tire Dealers? etc.

PS: Out of curiosity, are there any dealers here selling Continental tires? The Focus' little brother, the Fiesta has them as OEM tires.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I think Tireboy has Continental tires. You could also try Yokohama S.Drive, better grip than C.Drive but wears out faster. I get mine from the dealer in C. Raymundo, Pasig.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Which tires for performance