New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I have 3 out of 5 tires for our Altis which seemingly have defects, but I need to know which two I can still use until I get my tires replaced.

Here's the first tire, a Dunlop Sport 01 (205/55 R16), currently my spare tire. It was punctured twice on its sidewall, and it seems to have developed a bump:

Here's the second tire, also a Dunlop Sport 01, which by the way are the stock tires the car came with. There's seemingly a tear on the sidewall:

The third tire is new, less than a month old, a Dunlop LM703. Less than a week with the tire, it developed a large bump on the sidewall. More recently, the bump started developing tiny cracks:

I'm going to try and get the LM703 replaced under warranty, as it's practically new. I doubt that the Sport 01's will get replaced as well though, what do you guys think? My guess is that Toyota will just say it's wear and tear. The car's 2 years old by the way, and has around 35000 km on the clock.

Lastly, if I really do have to get all 3 tires replaced, what other brands do you suggest? I'm thinking of getting the tires not from the dealer anymore, as the pair of LM703's I recently got totaled over 12k, with wheel balancing included.

I've heard that the Kumho Ecsta is rather decent, how much would those tires cost in 205/55 R16 form?

Thanks guys.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    hindi kaya parati ka na-gutter?

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I'm not the only user of the car. My mother has had quite a few incidents of hitting the gutter, hence the vulcanized patch on the first tire. Personally I've never hit the tires on anything, except probably a few potholes I was unable to avoid.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Consider the Yokohama A.Drives

I've got a set as stock on our 09 FD, in your size (205/55/R16)

Relatively quiet and the price shouldn't be so bad. (~3k ea)

As to your original question, I wouldn't consider using those tires anymore. Punit and bump on the sidewall - no no.

Padala mo nalang kaya yung rim mismo sa shop?

If not, just drive sloooooooowly :O

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post

As to your original question, I wouldn't consider using those tires anymore. Punit and bump on the sidewall - no no.

Padala mo nalang kaya yung rim mismo sa shop?

If not, just drive sloooooooowly :O

where do you get you A.drives? thats cheaper than the 185/65/14 i canvassed.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006

I was looking a the A.Drives as well. How does it perform in terms of its grip levels? I'm having this (unsubstantiated) notion that the A.Drives are generally budget tires, having only 3 grooves. This has got me to consider the C.Drive, just because its marketed by Yokohama as better than the A.Drive. I haven't looked at its price though, but if its at the 3.5-4k range but provides better grip and is more reliable, I'd give it a go.

I'm concerned about the tires' performance because aside from city-cruising duties, I sometimes bring the car for a spirited drive at Tanay so I'd like the tires to be grippy and predictable, and during highway runs I want a tire that won't blow on me when running at around 150-200.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I checked with DKC a few months back and 205/55R16 A-drives was around P4.9K already.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I was looking a the A.Drives as well. How does it perform in terms of its grip levels? I'm having this (unsubstantiated) notion that the A.Drives are generally budget tires, having only 3 grooves. This has got me to consider the C.Drive, just because its marketed by Yokohama as better than the A.Drive. I haven't looked at its price though, but if its at the 3.5-4k range but provides better grip and is more reliable, I'd give it a go.

I'm concerned about the tires' performance because aside from city-cruising duties, I sometimes bring the car for a spirited drive at Tanay so I'd like the tires to be grippy and predictable, and during highway runs I want a tire that won't blow on me when running at around 150-200.
    Well, I really haven't taken the car above 100 for sustained periods of time, nor have I gone at 100kph in the wet, so I can't comment on the grip.

With regards to the tire blowing on you, I'm pretty sure this will be down to the load/speed rating of the specific tire. I think the stock 91Vs will be good all the way to 200kph.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My Dunlop LM703s are also rated at 91V, so that means they're safe up until 240 KPH. However, tire blowouts happen way before that on poor quality tires, so I don't wanna blindly trust the tires' speed rating. Between the two though (Dunlop LM703 vs Yokohama A.Drive), which is the better tire?

Also, what are the other alternatives I should be looking at within the 4-5k price range? From what I've read, here are some notable models which I think I should be considering. Hopefully you guys could shed some light on how much these tires cost and how they perform:

Kumho Ecsta SPT
    Goodyear Assurance
    Yokohama C.Drive

And if there are other models that I should take a look at, please let me know.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    I always thought that the C Drives were lower end.

Apparently yung A Drive pala yung mas mababa(?) based on their product catalog/matrix
    http://www.yokohama.com.au/img/matrix_passenger.gif

The 702s were known to slip in the wet. Not sure about the 703s.

Can't honestly comment on the other tires, never owned them eh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Which Tires Can I Still Use?