New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Is this generally a good idea? How much savings do you get anyways?

My impression of it is that they just take your old kalbo tires and then somehow bond a new surface with threads(tama ba spelling?) Any inherent dangers to this?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ang old terminology diyan ay recapping. Mostly recapping if done properly can have the same life expectancy of new tire.

there are some problems though...since the advent of using steel belt, the recaped tires have been less durable than the nylon belted tires.

my dad use to work at BFGoodrich phil....the reason why the tire makers sifted to steel belt tires is because of the long lifetime of nylon belted tires. Lalo na pag nare-cap, they loose the new tire market. So para hindi na mare-cap they introduced the steel belt. (it all marketing)

if you would notice, industrial vechicles like trucks and even pick-up would often have no steel belted tire options.....di kasi kaya ang pressure or load than the nylon belted ones.

the 8 ply tires are also long lasting than the 4 ply ones found on car tires. the Ply means the number of layers of nylon belt that it has. most 4 plys would have one ply as steel belt ply.

ever wonder why common ang oblong tires sa car tires pagnalubak ka ng biglaan??? sa mga truck and pick-up tires hindi uso yan....kasi the steel belts wont return to its orig shape pagna trauma sa lubak unlike nylon belts.

my 2 cents.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    interesting

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    lintek na marketing yan! hehehehe

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    I don't think re-threading and re-capping are the same thing.

Hindi ba yung re-threading ay yung inuukit nila yung mga grooves para lumalim ulit?

Kung yan yon eh delikado yan dahil hindi naman kumapal yung goma mo at lumalim lang yung grooves.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    hmmm, ang alam ko dinadagdagan ng goma e, not just "re-etching" the grooves on our tires...not too sure about the terminology though

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    merun din inuukit pero i don't think all tires can make it kasi tinipid na sa goma....sa mga drag racing nga kinakalbo ang tires at nagtitira na lang nang kauti

hindi rin kakapit ang added thread/goma unless kakalbuhin to the ply ang gulong. the whole recapping process is almost very similar sa production of new tires actually. Ang pinagkaiba lang ay ang pag recycle ng ply and bead (eto yung lip ng tire)....dito sa pampanga it cost about P2000 per tire sa isang 31" tire (brand new tire of this type would be around P5000)

the problem is that the tread design ay pangit na kasi ang mga tread designs are patented so they (the recapping people) could not just copy a known brands tread design.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    mahirap yan, kasi s surface ng gulong makapal.... e yung s gilid gilid ng gulong... kumukunat.... ang alam ko dito sabugin yan e.... tsaka karamihan ng gumagawa nito puro PUJ lng e...

BTW wag ka magtipid jan tutal matagal mo ding gagamitin yan.. think about this baka masabugan ka then ang takbo mo mga 100kmh baka buhay mo din matipid...

payong friend lang

goodluck

tire rethreading?