New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    It was 3:00 Am, while our owner type jeep is inside our garage, the tire blew with such a loud pop. After further investigations, I discovered that the tire exploded from the upper part and away from the sidewall.

What could have happened?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    well it happened to my sparetire. sa lakas nung sabog yung basurahan sa tabi nung hiace namin natumba hahaha... nagtalunan lang ng tao sa loob nung talyer and ako lang naka alam kung ano yun sumabog kasi kitang kita ko yung gulong bumuka yung sa may threadwall. luma na din kasi yung spare ko na yun. sa tingin ko sa luma nya bumigay na rin yung steelbelt kaya di na kinaya yung pressure.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Old age, worn rubber, misaligned belts, or combined with a nail, screw, etc many things can happen.

What brand, how old is it, condition of treads, tire pressures prior to explosion, etc? More details if you can fill us in. If it's too much air that could find a weak spot in the tire and as I said combined with the above conditions it's a ticking bomb.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    how old is the tire? what brand? is it re-thread or brand new?

5. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    :-o maybe someone shot it with an ice bullet ... from an ice gun?

seriously though, if the tire is extremely worn out it really can happen. You have to look at the other three tires also since they might suffer the same fate.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    It could be an old tire already. I think there is a recommended life for tires. maybe 5yrs.

Otherwise, it could be a manufacturing defect.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    check the manufacturing date of the tire.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by reym View Post
    It was 3:00 Am, while our owner type jeep is inside our garage, the tire blew with such a loud pop. After further investigations, I discovered that the tire exploded from the upper part and away from the sidewall.

What could have happened?
    Happened to me... the tirel could have had a hidden defect. The defect can be seen as a bulge at a certain portion of the tire. In my case, the sidewall had the telltale bulge and took almost a year before it "popped" while my car was quietly parked at night.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    The tire are 6 years old but the jeep is rarely used to the tires has good threads. Yesterday, another tire exploded while the vehicle is at park.

The brand is dunlop.

Actually there was an incident at our house when the suitor or boyfriend of my sister climbed to our terrace at 2:00pm, my other sister saw him and he jumped and run away.

There is a dog chained at the back of the jeep.

What is the possibility of that guy getting into our garage and poking the tire?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Its old age. When they reach around 5 years above and are RARELY used, they become brittle and blow up. Since all tires are subjected to the same mileage (rarely used) and more or less manufactured to the same time, expect them to start blowing up one after the other.

My cousin's car blew all 4 tires just a day or 2 apart. She says they're like timebombs

My car is frequently used. My tires are 7 years old na, it surprised the guy selling bf goodrich that they were in such good condition pa rin Il be replacing them this year. My spare is about 11 years old na... that one keeps losing air due to its brittleness, so Il purchase a new one really soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Tire Mystery