New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    I will need to replace the brake fluid for my 2018 Subaru XV. I'm looking for a DOT4 brake fluid and there are several brands in Lazada/Shopee. I'm a noob so I'm looking for suggestions. If I want the best, should I go with either ATE or Motul? They are a bit more expensive but if using them matters, then I'm all for it. If using these expensive brands do not matter, what are other alternatives?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Any DOT4 brake fluid will do. If you want better braking, get better brake pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Locally puwede Petron HTP DOT4.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    brake fluid doesn't need changing that much if you're not opening the fill port/cap

even if we live in a humid country that seal on the fill port prevents(somewhat) water to come in.

better to have the brake fluid changed during the brake pad replacement.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    brake fluid doesn't need changing that much if you're not opening the fill port/cap

even if we live in a humid country that seal on the fill port prevents(somewhat) water to come in.

better to have the brake fluid changed during the brake pad replacement.

i change brake fluid every 3yrs i.e. i finish the entire bottle by pumping fresh fluid through the lines

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    You can buy a brake fluid tester in Lazada. Just dip in the fluid reservoir to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
    I will need to replace the brake fluid for my 2018 Subaru XV. I'm looking for a DOT4 brake fluid and there are several brands in Lazada/Shopee. I'm a noob so I'm looking for suggestions. If I want the best, should I go with either ATE or Motul? They are a bit more expensive but if using them matters, then I'm all for it. If using these expensive brands do not matter, what are other alternatives?
    ATE HIGH PERFORMANCE DOT 4 BRAKE FLUID 1L

8. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Ok, got it. If the tester says it needs to be replaced, do I let the service center do a drain and refill? How much fluid does it usually take to be in the optimal level for the 2018 Subaru XV (it doesn't say in the manual)? If the 1L isn't consumed, can the leftover be used after a few years as long as its cap is properly closed?

9. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kevindd992002 View Post
    Ok, got it. If the tester says it needs to be replaced, do I let the service center do a drain and refill? How much fluid does it usually take to be in the optimal level for the 2018 Subaru XV (it doesn't say in the manual)? If the 1L isn't consumed, can the leftover be used after a few years as long as its cap is properly closed?
    For brakes it's not called drain and fill. It's a pressurised system so drain and fill will introduce air in the system. To avoid this most shops have brake flush machines. No leftovers too.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i just did some superficial reading on brake fluid grading.
    interesting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast