New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    para sa mga di nakakaalam, i have an altis 1.6 04.

my plans:

convert front and rear to gas shock absorbers
    drop it by 1.5" using proper lowering springs
    replace bushings at the rear

done:

gas shocks front (excel g)
    replace bushing front
    balance all wheels
    rotation every 10k km
    replace ball joints and stab links at the front

my queries:

is it required to have an alignment everytime something is change/replace at my suspension?

does an altis have stock camber/caster adjustment? or if i lower it by 1.5", i have to install camber/casket kit on it if its not equipt? or can a shop (like servitek) do its adjustments? a mechanic(servitek) told me that my altis is not equipped with a camber/caster adjustment something, and they do it at the shocks (dinuduga daw sa shocks parang ganoon).

what are the cause of wiggling/vibrating steering wheel at 100kph?

thanks in advance. back to square one ako.
    Last edited by aejhayl17; July 11th, 2010 at 08:26 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A minimal drop shouldnt require a camber/caster correction kit AFAIK (CMIIW). If your camber is off and it cannot be adjusted, some shops shave (kikil) the shock bolt area to allow some play for adjustment. Mine so far has never needed any such adjustment (52,000kms).

On the vibration, have your wheel balancing checked again. Thats the usual culprit.

Alignment is needed when major parts are changed or moved (shocks/control arm brought down, tie rods/rack ends replaced).

The temptation to install H&R lowering springs on my Altis has always been there. My 1993 Sentra B13 on 13" rims and stock everything handles better. :P Only thing keeping me is that i find the tall ride height and long suspension play oh-so-useful in our types of roads.

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    A minimal drop shouldnt require a camber/caster correction kit AFAIK (CMIIW). If your camber is off and it cannot be adjusted, some shops shave (kikil) the shock bolt area to allow some play for adjustment. Mine so far has never needed any such adjustment (52,000kms).

On the vibration, have your wheel balancing checked again. Thats the usual culprit.

Alignment is needed when major parts are changed or moved (shocks/control arm brought down, tie rods/rack ends replaced).

The temptation to install H&R lowering springs on my Altis has always been there. My 1993 Sentra B13 on 13" rims and stock everything handles better. :P Only thing keeping me is that i find the tall ride height and long suspension play oh-so-useful in our types of roads.
    thanks for the reply sir vinj.

i recently replaced my stock shocks becuase its broken. so do i need to have an alignment?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    With the new shocks, yes. If you were just aligned recently it may be done for free if youre still under warranty. Sabihin mo lang may kabig pa rin.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    may adjustment ng camber ang altis.kailangan mo palitang ng bolt and nut yun sa knuckle arm para maadjust yun camber nun or kailanagn mo kikilin mo yun butas ng bolt...

6. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    wiggle/vibration of steering wheel has gone after the 2nd wheel balance. tried a 140kph run at nlex. no wiggle.

so for the mean time, no need for wheel alignment.

maybe after rear shocks, rear bushing replacement and install lowering springs,then ill have wheel alignment.

*lexxus, thanks sir.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    mga sir buhayin ko lang po tong thread na to..

04 altis po sasakyan ko and I just had my wheels upgraded from stock 14" to 17". Medyo malaki pa din ang fender gap nya so I'm planning to get it lowered by say 2".

Need to know if is it necessary to have my shocks replaced as well?.....Why or why not?

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    No need to replace your shocks unless it's busted.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for info sir.

I was a bit confused since I read it from one of the posts that I need to match lowering springs with aftermarket shocks.

I think it was mentioned on this thread:
    http://tsikot.com/forums/suspension-...springs-57321/

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by guerillarun View Post
    Thanks for info sir.

I was a bit confused since I read it from one of the posts that I need to match lowering springs with aftermarket shocks.

I think it was mentioned on this thread:
    http://tsikot.com/forums/suspension-...springs-57321/
    It depends on the type of shocks and springs that you have. With the basic lowering springs that don't have too drastic a drop, stock gas shocks should be good enough with the Altis. It may differ if you opt for a drastic drop and stiffer spring rates where you may have to go with stiffer, sport shocks.

Keep the shocks you have first then evaluate it as you put on the springs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
suspension of altis 04