New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    I have read in some car owners manual that they never advised in putting grease on the hub bolt, their advise is just to clean it with steel brush. The reason is that with grease or lubricant in the hub bolt, may cause you to over tighten the nut.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by paulgozon View Post
    I have read in some car owners manual that they never advised in putting grease on the hub bolt, their advise is just to clean it with steel brush. The reason is that with grease or lubricant in the hub bolt, may cause you to over tighten the nut.
    in an effort to correct the corrosion and seizing of the stud bolts and the wheel from binding to the hub, the grease is my recommendation. with the concern of the possibility of over torquing the lug nuts, it is human error to over tighten it, that's why a torque wrench is recommended for use on this procedure. the service lug wrench you carry around the car should be enough for proper torque in the absence of a torque wrench and should never be extended with a pipe or similar object nor stand on the opposite end of the service lug wrench to tighten the lug nuts. if the lug nuts are seized, they too are subject to over torquing in the process of removal if they are rusted

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    in an effort to correct the corrosion and seizing of the stud bolts and the wheel from binding to the hub, the grease is my recommendation. with the concern of the possibility of over torquing the lug nuts, it is human error to over tighten it, that's why a torque wrench is recommended for use on this procedure. the service lug wrench you carry around the car should be enough for proper torque in the absence of a torque wrench and should never be extended with a pipe or similar object nor stand on the opposite end of the service lug wrench to tighten the lug nuts. if the lug nuts are seized, they too are subject to over torquing in the process of removal if they are rusted

I agree to this

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    today, nov12 at around 1000, i witnessed a "mechanic" overtorqued lug nuts on an unusual color porsche (blue) in banaue street. i feel sorry for the car. the owner more than likely doesn't know nor have an idea fo the torque specs for the lug nut. from the looks of it, as the mechanic was tghtening the lug nuts/bolts on the car by pushing downward with force that i think is way too much for the bolt. this malpractice is both dangerous and damaging to the car. overtorquing leads to pssible fractures on the bolts from stretching aside from possible warping of the brake rotors. friends, if you have to install tilres back to the car, please use torque wrench whenever possible to avoid damage to the car or avoid accidents from runaway tires.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    today, nov12 at around 1000, i witnessed a "mechanic" overtorqued lug nuts on an unusual color porsche (blue) in banaue street. i feel sorry for the car. the owner more than likely doesn't know nor have an idea fo the torque specs for the lug nut. from the looks of it, as the mechanic was tghtening the lug nuts/bolts on the car by pushing downward with force that i think is way too much for the bolt. this malpractice is both dangerous and damaging to the car. overtorquing leads to pssible fractures on the bolts from stretching aside from possible warping of the brake rotors. friends, if you have to install tilres back to the car, please use torque wrench whenever possible to avoid damage to the car or avoid accidents from runaway tires.
    porche uses lugbolts. in my opinion is a pain in the ass when it comes to installing back the tires and lining up the holes. lalo na when it is fat ass wide tyres.

yes bihira ako makakita ng gumagamit ng torque wrench dito sa atin maski as simple as for torqueing mag wheels

6. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    do it right even when you do something wrong. haahaahaa

7. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    All use the trusted tanchameter..

Infairness, SNR tire peeps use torque wrench for the wheel nuts..

8. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by babkalakal View Post
    porche uses lugbolts. in my opinion is a pain in the ass when it comes to installing back the tires and lining up the holes. lalo na when it is fat ass wide tyres.

yes bihira ako makakita ng gumagamit ng torque wrench dito sa atin maski as simple as for torqueing mag wheels
    na-mana nang porsche yang lugbolts from grandfather beetle.
    i agree, hassle i-balik ang wheel ng beetles namin, laluna if the tyre is oversize.
    we learned to use the cross wrench to pull the heavy wheel upward.
    'buti na lang, our ancient VWs' drums and disks are iron and not as sensitive to torqueing.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    na-mana nang porsche yang lugbolts from grandfather beetle.
    i agree, hassle i-balik ang wheel ng beetles namin, laluna if the tyre is oversize.
    we learned to use the cross wrench to pull the heavy wheel upward.
    'buti na lang, our ancient VWs' drums and disks are iron and not as sensitive to torqueing.

there are stud guides for this purpose available or you can make one of a bolt with the same diameter and thread pitch and longer around three or more inches long. cut the head of the bolt and screw onto the hub for aligning the wheel holes through the fabricated tool.

one thing i noticed in a couple of toyota assembly lines in nagoya, all four hubs have one stud bolt at 12 o'clock position. since robots are programmed to place one of the wheel bolt holes at exactly 12 o'clock position, all four tires are installed/torqued in less than four seconds.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    German cars usually have stud guides given along with the tools ... owners of these cars rarely even look at the tool kit let alone know where it is located ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Stud/Stad/Lug Nuts Corrosion