New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    nung once na naglesson ako sa driving, umabot kami to the point na kailangan ipark na yung car. tapos nung na-off na yung engine, my instructor told me to shift to gear 1 and then move the steering wheel.

tama ba yung method ng pag-lock ng steering wheel na itinuro sa akin? para saan ito? how do you unlock the steering wheel pag paandar ka na?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Turn it to either side to disengage the lock while turning the key to fully unlock the wheel.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    theveed is right, after turning off engine and removing key the steering wheel will lock by moving either side. engaging in 1 gear probably an added precautionary(aside from parking break) specially in an incline/decline parking spot(usually in hills).

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    engaging first gear is a bit dangerous... I think yebo pointed it out in some other thread... should your vehicle be bumped from behind it can cause damage to your transmission as well.

forgetting that your tranny is in 1st gear when starting is also a big mistake... my brother learned this the hard way... a mechanic from Zee parked our car with the gear in 1st... my brother forgot to check the gear and bumped another car when he started the engine.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    I always thought that engaging the steering wheel lock is to prevent people from just pushing your car away (assuming they get in to release the hand brake and gear) But with tow trucks these days, I doubt there is any use

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The built in steering lock is an ancient device that is easily beaten nowadays. Well, its better than nothing.

I also park with the vehicle in first gear. Even if the my vehicle gets bumped I doubt if it could damage the tranny since:

1. The drive wheels (rear) are also locked down by the parking brake.
    2. When the vehicle is bumped, the tires do not spin and just drag. Ergo, the transmission will never know what is happening.
    3. Truck based transmissions are inherently tough based on the abuse I put them through. Not sure about car transmissions.

Leaving it in gear is a good measure should the parking brakes fail.

Never start a vehicle without depressing the clutch. That is a must and most local drivers don't do it anymore.

In the U.S., stickshifts cannot be started (there is an interlock) without depressing the clutch. Whether the vehicle is in neutral or not.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Just make sure you use the steering wheel lock on new cars. Old cars tend to have problems pag naglock. I also put it in gear, sometimes in R if parking downhill.

Combined with a steering wheel locking device (The Club comes to mind, or other similar ones), yung steering lock can effectively deter anybody willing to snatch your car pag naka jam yung Club sa windshield/A pillar and you can't turn the wheel dahil may steering lock.

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post

Never start a vehicle without depressing the clutch. That is a must and most local drivers don't do it anymore.

In the U.S., stickshifts cannot be started (there is an interlock) without depressing the clutch. Whether the vehicle is in neutral or not.
    naranasan ko ito sa isang Hyundai Accent (early model)..

panay ang start ko puro redondo lang ,aksidente ko natapakan ang clutch pedal bigla umandar ,para makasiguro pinatay ko uli ang engine at 3x ko inulit doon ko na realize kailangan pa pala press ang clutch pedal talaga
    (tinakas lang kasi namin yon ride sa isang friend ,
    kya pareho namin di alam ng partner ko paano mapaandar non)

steering wheel lock on new cars