New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Mga bossing, A/T 94 Corolla ang car ko, Fairly new ang mga brake pads/drum brakes.

I used the car for the first time going downhill in Tagaytay (Taal Lake). I was at 'D' the whole time, and after we arrived at the resort, my friend told me (car at my tail) na naaamoy na niya yung 'brake' ko. I also noticed na humihina na yung brake ko, fortunately, just a couple more turns before the end of the trail. When we touched the front wheels, it was very hot.

Just want to ask suggestions on how I can avoid this. TIA!

By the way, I was at '2' when we went uphill, where I rarely used the brakes. So there wasn't too much stress on the brakes and no significant raise on the rims' temperature during that time.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Was it a steep downhill? Baka sir you relied on your brakes most of the time. You should have used '2' or 'L' para mag-engine brake at less stress na rin sa brakes. IMO nag overheat brakes nyo kaya humina braking power.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Not that steep, but enough to make your speed go over 40kph when not stepping on the gas.

As for the '2' gear, I was under the impression that this is used mostly for uphill.

How about using nitrogen?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by tugasi View Post
    Mga bossing, A/T 94 Corolla ang car ko, Fairly new ang mga brake pads/drum brakes.

I used the car for the first time going downhill in Tagaytay (Taal Lake). I was at 'D' the whole time, and after we arrived at the resort, my friend told me (car at my tail) na naaamoy na niya yung 'brake' ko. I also noticed na humihina na yung brake ko, fortunately, just a couple more turns before the end of the trail. When we touched the front wheels, it was very hot.

Just want to ask suggestions on how I can avoid this. TIA!

By the way, I was at '2' when we went uphill, where I rarely used the brakes. So there wasn't too much stress on the brakes and no significant raise on the rims' temperature during that time.

your brakes might be dragging. at this age of your car, it is more than likely it is suffering from arterioschlerosis in your brake hoses to the calipers.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Not sure about nitrogen pero alam ko sa tires lang yun. Pag naka nitro ka bihira kang magpapahangin ng gulong kasi di agad sya sumisingaw compared to regular air.

'2' is also used downhill, pwede rin gamitin yun sa highway kunwari kapag nawalan ka ng brakes, para mag-downshift at mag engine brake ka.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    your brakes might be dragging. at this age of your car, it is more than likely it is suffering from arterioschlerosis in your brake hoses to the calipers.
    i don't think may sakit na ganun yung car ko. the brakes were fine during most of the downhill, nung pahuli ko nalang talaga naramdaman na mejo humina, and the rims were really hot when we touched it after we stopped.

thanks for the diagnosis though..

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    2 and L are just equivalent to 2nd and 1st gear of a manual transmission. So you use them as you would in a manual transmission.

Going downhill, use 2 or L to control the speed of descent. If you rely on the brakes alone, you will over heat them. They may fade, and if the fluid boils over, you will lose braking force (and potentially fall off the edge of a cliff).

Sir, nasa owner's manual po iyan lahat.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Chikselog View Post
    Not sure about nitrogen pero alam ko sa tires lang yun. Pag naka nitro ka bihira kang magpapahangin ng gulong kasi di agad sya sumisingaw compared to regular air.

'2' is also used downhill, pwede rin gamitin yun sa highway kunwari kapag nawalan ka ng brakes, para mag-downshift at mag engine brake ka.
    noted on the '2'.. as for the nitrogen, it probably might help lower the temperature of the rims/brakes during steep drives.. just a thought..

by the way, where can i get nitrogen for my tires? is it relatively cheap, compared to free air at gas stations?

9. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    2 and L are just equivalent to 2nd and 1st gear of a manual transmission. So you use them as you would in a manual transmission.

Going downhill, use 2 or L to control the speed of descent. If you rely on the brakes alone, you will over heat them. They may fade, and if the fluid boils over, you will lose braking force (and potentially fall off the edge of a cliff).

Sir, nasa owner's manual po iyan lahat.
    hehe! first car ko po, so i'm still gaining experience from my day to day driving.. as for the manual, unfortunately, nasa previous owner pa po siya, kinukulit ko napo.. i'm planning to read it thoroughly when i get it.

thanks po so info! so this is partially learning it the hard way.. glad that nothing bad happened that time..

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    It's ok, at least nagtanong ka diba

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
rims/wheels/brakes hot after going downhill