New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sabi nila it cracks when it gets wet while still hot. however, some say the braking power easily is double that of stock/oem.

other comments please! :?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    woodfire,

I think the advantage of cross drilled is the cooling effect thus you can have consistent braking even in heavy abuse conditions. The holes though weaken the structure. A compromise is slotted rotors which act like vents to throw brake dust out and cool the rotor. Unless you are in a race, i think cross drilled and slotted should work fine or better than oem.

ferdi

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Advantage lang talaga niya it cool the brakes for more braking power.
    Pero stock brakes na kinrossdrill lang ay di effective at hindi designed yung stock brakes para butasin lang liliit yung contact patch nung brake pads sa rotors.
    Pansinin niyo yung mga cross drilled brakes usually malalaki para malaki pa rin ang contact. Holes lang are placed to cool the brakes faster.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    just buy an aftermarket brakes...dont modify ur oem brakes...ung sa friend ko papunta silang tagaytay...nabiyak ang rotor..coz nag pacross drill sya.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yup, my kumpare has brought in a brembo kit w/c is cross drilled. when i showed it to a shop for possible installation, they discouraged me from using it since they say cross-drilled discs easily cracks. duh? :?

anyways, i believe brembo will not manufacture something that will cause some problems and product recalls later! secondly, i won't use the car for track races. it is only for heavy weekend street driving.

what do you think?

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    aside from prone to crak, mabilis maubos brake pads mo if cross drilled. an alternative to that is slotted disk brakes (parang golf ball ang texture pero hindi lahat ng disk mismo). meron nabebenta na ganito, i think ebc ata ang gumagawa (i think.. im not really sure) :D

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yep, they are prone to cracking. If ever, get ones that are branded (EBC, AEM, Brembo, Wilwood, etc)... Slotted or dimpled (not drilled through fully) may work better.

Slotted rotors help in cooling. If that is your concern, upgrading the pads to something like EBC's, then using brake fluids with a higher heat capacity (DOT 4.1, RBF600, etc) will help before you can consider getting cross drilled rotors. If you want to upgrade, getting a bigger brake system will help as well.

My .002

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Mga sirs,

Di po ba ventilated na ang mga most front disks? Is this the same as with cross drilled ones? Isn't it much better to choose disks with larger diameters?

Thanks. :D

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Are Big Brake kits really better?

Big brake kits that are incorrectly designed can acutally perform worse than your stock brakes. Bigger pads and rotors primarily do one thing: They dissipate more heat than the stock brake setup. They do not necessarily stop you in shorter distances. Stopping distances are impacted by the coefficient of friction of the brake pad used and the clamping force applied by the caliper. Bigger brake pads do not apply more pressure- they only apply the same pressure over a bigger area. If heat dissipation is of primary concern- then a big brake kit will reduce the rotor and caliper temperatures. Otherwise, Premium Grade Brake Pads with higher temperature range capabilities and a higher coefficient of friction will provide the best improvement in braking performance.
    :D

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by roydok
    Mga sirs,

Di po ba ventilated na ang mga most front disks? Is this the same as with cross drilled ones? Isn't it much better to choose disks with larger diameters?

Thanks. :D
    you mean vented?.
    get better pads, and maybe stainless braided lines for better pedal feel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
PRO/CONS OF CROSS DRILLED BRAKES