New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Mga boss,

Napansin ko lately, kapag bagong start ko ng GLi, at liliko na ako from parking, umuugong yung power steering. After a while of driving, mga 2 minutes or more siguro, wala nang hum. Nangyayari lang ito kapag galing sa cold start. Anytime after, wala nang hum, kahit mag lock-to-lock turn ako na naka full stop.

What I would do is rev the engine while turning, and somehow, nawawala yung hum pag ganito (at hindi dahil nasapawan lang ng tunog ng engine). Para bang kailangan nya ng assist pag galing sa cold start. Or kailangan medyo uminit muna yung engine. I'm usually parked between two cars pa naman kaya daming kabig bago mailabas yung kotse, so gamit na gamit yung p/s habang malamig pa yung makina.

Any ideas?

Also, how do you drain/bleed the ps fluid sa '95 Corolla GLi? And what is the recommended ps fluid for this car? I've been using Shell ATF but I'm not really sure if I should be using ATF or PS fluid. Wala na yung user's manual ko.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Sounds like your power steering fluid is low. Add some ATF into the power steering reservoir. Later have someone check if you have some sort of leak in your power steering's hydraulic system.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Fluid is filled up to the marker naman. I added fluid the first time I heard it since that's usually what causes it.

I might bring it to celica this saturday unless anybody can suggest a good shop in the ortigas extension area.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Your belt might be not taut enough. I experienced this already. The steering became heavy when the noise manifested. I was even told by the mechanic that my power steering pump(?) needs replacing...

Then I noticed that the belt wasn't taut enough. I just tightened it and the problem went away. replacement daw... hah!

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Did it happen exactly the same with you? Only during cold start BUT NEVER anytime after, even at full stop as long as you're engine has been running for a while?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Sorry, it didn't really happen EXACTLY like that, but I think it occurred A LOT more often after cold starts.

Still, it wouldn't hurt to test for the tautness (?) of the belt. Nothing to lose by examining that... at least you can eliminate it from the list of possible problems if it's not the culprit.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    try replacing the fluid muna. if meron parin iparinig mo na sa mechanic mo sa makita nya problem.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Thanks to those who replied.

Had the P/S and R/P overhauled na sa Servitek/Tru Stuff/Celica near Centerpoint. Since may mga leaks na din naman (I've had to regularly add fluid, at least 25-50ml every 2 weeks since last year, hehe). I found it weird lang talaga that the buzz happens only during cold start. Our old maxima only had the buzz when the fluid is low and never during cold starts.

I'll post the total cost here later.

Wanted to go sana to speedyfix since may wifi, sayang lang kasi yung 15% discount sa celica for the toyota repair kits.

Had to go back to servitek/tru-stuff though since pag labas ko, may kumakalampag pag mababa ang rpm ko, pero wala pag lubak so nothing about the suspension. Pagbalik, one bolt was loose which was supposed to hold a frame under the car where the tow hook is connected. Kaya dapat talaga bantay pag nagpapaayos. Maayos naman trabaho nila. There three mechanics working on my car, tapos kanya-kanyang tighten ng bolts na walang sistema, ayun may na-miss na isa. Ngayon pa lang naman ako nagkaproblema ng ganyan sa kanila.

Power steering hum during cold start only?