New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    optra owner with automatic transmission, or any type of car with a gate type AT shift just an inquiry... i don't know if its normal or not... when you park your car in an inclined plane, and your car is facing upward, you turn on the engine and set the gear from P to R... suddenly there is a sound "thug" is that what you called a shift shock? is it a defect? will it damage the AT of the car?

what constitute a shift shock in automatic transmission?
    Last edited by chuaed; August 24th, 2006 at 06:06 PM.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Actually I dont think shift-shock yan, it's just that nag unlock yung pin sa P position... Next time, full brake, hand brake, bitaw footbrake (para sa handbrake na nakarest yung oto), before putting sa P if it bothers you.

Kahit sa manual ganun din if you put your car in gear sa incline before the wheels lock sa parking brake, pag shift mo to neutral may konting bitaw sa kagat din.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    okay thanks, i'll try that...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Its not shift shock. Is the parking prawl locked in and being released. Since you have a light vehicle it's not problem. But for those who have expeditions or gm ventures or those 2 ton trucks becareful when parking on an uphill/downhill and NOT using the hand brake BEFORE you put it into park. You will not be able to release your car from park coz the weight of the car is being held by the parking prawl.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Yep, don't use the transmission as a parking brake like how some Honda dealers teach their clients.

I've had to 'unteach' three already.

Maybe it's their way of making the trannies breakdown earlier. hehehe.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Sometimes, the parking/hand/foot brake is not strong enough to keep a parked car from moving down an incline. In manual cars, you normally put it to first or reverse to assist in holding the car on a slope, while in automatic ones, you shift to 'P'.

In parking your car on a steep road, keep in mind the following:

1. Steer your wheels to the direction of the curb or sidewalk, and lock the steering wheel itself. If the parking brake and/or gearbox comes loose, your car will likely move toward the curb instead of downhill.

2. Engage the parking brake as far as it will go before you place the gearbox lever to 1st or reverse (M/T) or park (A/T).

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Funny how most Americans never use their hand brakes pag AT... lahat ng mga kadorm o kaopis ko dun tinatanong ako bat ang hilig kong mag handbrake hehe

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    Yep, don't use the transmission as a parking brake like how some Honda dealers teach their clients.

I've had to 'unteach' three already.

Maybe it's their way of making the trannies breakdown earlier. hehehe.
    Oo Nga... kaya nga may handbrakes parin ang A/T

AT Owner, Shift Shock?