New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Newbie question mga sir:

May nabasa kasi ako na di recommended ang paggamit ng parking brake after a long drive? How true is this? and why?

2. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dhisky View Post
    Newbie question mga sir:

May nabasa kasi ako na di recommended ang paggamit ng parking brake after a long drive? How true is this? and why?
    And (obvioulsy) you do not remember the reason stated why it should not be engaged? It should have been explained in that article as the writer's argument to his claim.

"The measure of a man is what he does with power" LJIOHF!
    25.7K:shark:

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    +1 bakit daw?

Parking brake is handbrake? Tama ba?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hot pads stuck against hot discs (or hot shoes against hot drums) could cause material transfer between the two and cause rough braking until the material is worn away. It could also cause warpage because of uneven cooling.

It's not an issue with normal driving unless you live at the bottom of a 1 km downhill driveway braking all the way. Our brakes don't get red hot under normal usage. By the time the car settles into its final parking spot its brakes should have cooled enough to not worry about any parking brake issues. Besides it's more expensive to repair damage from a runaway car than to replace brakes ;)

5. Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CVT View Post

And (obvioulsy) you do not remember the reason stated why it should not be engaged? It should have been explained in that article as the writer's argument to his claim.

It's not an article, it's a discussion in a facebook page.

I didn't know the person who said that or I'm not sure how knowledgeable he is when it comes to cars.

That's why I'm confirming it here. Masama bang mag confirm ng question?

Let's just close this forum instead then and mag rely na lang tayo sa mga articles.

Masyado kang seryoso sir.

6. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    Hot pads stuck against hot discs (or hot shoes against hot drums) could cause material transfer between the two and cause rough braking until the material is worn away. It could also cause warpage because of uneven cooling.

It's not an issue with normal driving unless you live at the bottom of a 1 km downhill driveway braking all the way. Our brakes don't get red hot under normal usage. By the time the car settles into its final parking spot its brakes should have cooled enough to not worry about any parking brake issues. Besides it's more expensive to repair damage from a runaway car than to replace brakes ;)
    Thanks for sharing bro.,- I guess our driving conditions here will not be a concern... Plus that fact that the last few kilometers will be cool down mode for almost all of us....

"The measure of a man is what he does with power" LJIOHF!

25.7K:shark:

7. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    i don't engage parking brake after doing a 5 hot laps on race track (because hot). also after a long drive on heavy rains only (because wet). on normal long drives, i park the car normally with parking brakes engaged.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    even if your rear brakes are drum or disc, the rear brakes only get about 30-40% percent of the braking power.
    most of the heat is generated at the front wheels so no issue ang pad glazing or warping ng rotors. this applies to regular street driven vehicles..
    you cannot make your rotors or drum glow by regular driving even spirited driving.

tsaka TS, when you say long drive that means freeway/expressway driving, its rare that you will frequently slam your brakes while in the freeway just to generate heat sa brakes.

baka yung article na nabasa mo is geared towards track/racing... doon pwede mo ma glaze yung pad mo at magkaroon ng material transfer.

anyways you do not have to worry about engaging your parking brake, mas nakakatakot kung ayaw mag engage parking brake mo. haha.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

even if your rear brakes are drum or disc, the rear brakes only get about 30-40% percent of the braking power.
    most of the heat is generated at the front wheels so no issue ang pad glazing or warping ng rotors. this applies to regular street driven vehicles..
    you cannot make your rotors or drum glow by regular driving even spirited driving.

tsaka TS, when you say long drive that means freeway/expressway driving, its rare that you will frequently slam your brakes while in the freeway just to generate heat sa brakes.

baka yung article na nabasa mo is geared towards track/racing... doon pwede mo ma glaze yung pad mo at magkaroon ng material transfer.

anyways you do not have to worry about engaging your parking brake, mas nakakatakot kung ayaw mag engage parking brake mo. haha.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by enzo6k View Post
    i don't engage parking brake after doing a 5 hot laps on race track (because hot). also after a long drive on heavy rains only (because wet). on normal long drives, i park the car normally with parking brakes engaged.
    So true. Once when I forged my car thru flooded streets and I park the car then engaged the parking brake overnight. Morning comes found out my rear brakes got stuck up.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2010

tama! sa racetrack when you enter the pitstop you shouldn't use your handbrake pero on regular driving no need to worry since di naman ganon ka heavy gamit natin sa brakes natin pag daily driving lang. kahit itakbo mo pa ng baguio yan pwede mo i hand brake agad yan.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

tama! sa racetrack when you enter the pitstop you shouldn't use your handbrake pero on regular driving no need to worry since di naman ganon ka heavy gamit natin sa brakes natin pag daily driving lang. kahit itakbo mo pa ng baguio yan pwede mo i hand brake agad yan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast