New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    may tanong ako

may epekto ba sa odometer ang non stock tires?

i read in another forum that using, say for example, oversized non stock tires affects your speedometer reading. lets say your stock tires are 265s, if you change to 275s (same rims), there is a 1% difference in the speedometer reading; or if you change to 285s, there is a 7% difference.

to illustrate, if on the stock 265s your speedometer reading is 60kph, then on the 275s, the speedometer will only read about 59kph (or thereabouts) or much slower. tama ba? o baliktad? the main thing is that there is a difference

if this is the case, is the odometer reading also affected?

by the way, nag search na rin ako and i was not able to find a thread specifically discussing this. kung medyo kulang ang search ko, paki post nalang ng link dito

salamat sa lahat

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 111prez
    may tanong ako

may epekto ba sa odometer ang non stock tires?

i read in another forum that using, say for example, oversized non stock tires affects your speedometer reading. lets say your stock tires are 265s, if you change to 275s (same rims), there is a 1% difference in the speedometer reading; or if you change to 285s, there is a 7% difference.

to illustrate, if on the stock 265s your speedometer reading is 60kph, then on the 275s, the speedometer will only read about 59kph (or thereabouts) or much slower. tama ba? o baliktad? the main thing is that there is a difference

if this is the case, is the odometer reading also affected?

by the way, nag search na rin ako and i was not able to find a thread specifically discussing this. kung medyo kulang ang search ko, paki post nalang ng link dito

salamat sa lahat

sir, HTH ... http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i dont think there's an effect on the odometer since it measures the engine speed and not the vehicle's actual speed.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    it depends on how you are using your odometer.

if for engine mileage/change oil intervals same pa rin yan because usually speedo cables are attached to the tranny.

but if for distance traveled using maps or directions its not as accurate since bigger tires cover more road. and speed hindi na accurate as indicated sa speedo.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    affected ang accuracy ng both speedo at odometer.

try this to know how much + or - your incurring

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
    Last edited by Mojo; August 9th, 2005 at 12:49 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ssaloon
    i dont think there's an effect on the odometer since it measures the engine speed and not the vehicle's actual speed.
    sir, correction, to measure engine speed, we refer to tachometer. to measure the vehicle's speed, we refer to the speedometer. in honda, the speedometer is hooked-up to the tranny, via ecu.

however, upsizing the rims would affect the speedo reading. because the computation in the differential to the wheel size is changed. but, the good news is, if i have a stock rim with size 185/65 r14 and i want it upgraded to the rim size, tire width and the aspect ratio, to have the same reading i would have to install a 195/55 r15. for the 16 rims, size would be 205/45 r 16.

see the trend? as the rim size and tire width increases, the aspect ratio (sidewall) decreases. this way, the speedo reading would remain as the stock, since we are after the size of the wheel as whole rather than the rims and tire width alone.

just a thought.
    Last edited by ian_rex; August 9th, 2005 at 01:28 PM.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    What he said ^^^

Just to add, sa mga ibang countries, nandadaya mga taxi by using smaller wheel/tire combo to facilitate more revolutions per km.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by theveed
    What he said ^^^

Just to add, sa mga ibang countries, nandadaya mga taxi by using smaller wheel/tire combo to facilitate more revolutions per km.
    :lol: hindi ko naisip yan, ah!

damn taxi drivers!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ian_rex
    sir, correction, to measure engine speed, we refer to tachometer. to measure the vehicle's speed, we refer to the speedometer. in honda, the speedometer is hooked-up to the tranny, via ecu.

however, upsizing the rims would affect the speedo reading. because the computation in the differential to the wheel size is changed. but, the good news is, if i have a stock rim with size 185/65 r14 and i want it upgraded to the rim size, tire width and the aspect ratio, to have the same reading i would have to install a 195/55 r15. for the 16 rims, size would be 205/45 r 16.

see the trend? as the rim size and tire width increases, the aspect ratio (sidewall) decreases. this way, the speedo reading would remain as the stock, since we are after the size of the wheel as whole rather than the rims and tire width alone.

just a thought.
    whoops onga pala hehehe! my bad

10. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    teka teka, baka, now i am confused

so, to recap, change in tire size affects speedometer. that i understand from the links. sa miata.net, speedometer ang pinaguusapan.

but what about the odometer? mukhang apektado ata ang consensus. but by how much? is it the same as the effect on the speedometer?

yung engine speed or revolutions is tachometer.

but the odometer also measures total distance travelled. it is also your guide on when to do your PMS like your 5K PMS and so on

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
odometer and non stock tires