New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    A request for assistance from a novice like me to the experts out there:

Tulad noong nahilig ako sa mountain bikes, I experimented on Taiwan parts and then shifted to Japanese parts. Katakut-takot na gastos at upgrading ang ginawa ko dahil loves ko talagang mag-travel at mag-nature tripping. Gusto ko kasi sana maging sturdy and highly road and off-road reliable ang bike ko. 8)

Sa first family car namin, Honda City 1.3 gl lang ito (Type Z) naisip ko lang naman yung tungkol sa tire size.

Yun bang mag-shift from size 165R13 to 165R14, may considerable load effect ito sa engine? As in, hirap kaya itong humatak?

Will this increase speed since the wheels are quite bigger?

Several things I know I need to consider:
    (1) fuel consumption
    (2) change of steel rims to mags
    (3) cost of new tires and new mags

Net of these concerns, will all these changes be worth it? Unlike before binata pa kasi ako kaya ok lang gumastos. Ngayong may family na ako, plano muna kasi limited ang budget. :o

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hey pyoyong1,

If you want to get bigger wheels, the tire size of your car is going to change if you want to do it right.

If you want to move up from 13's to 14's, it is recommended you follow the plus sized concept.

If you get larger wheels, you will need to get a wider and lower profile (shorter sidewalls) tire in order to maintain the original diameter of 13's.

I'm thinking the move from 165/13 to 185/60/14 or thereabouts is what you might be looking for.

This will keep you from worrying about your speedometer, odometer and engine speed, as the overall diameter of both wheels and tires will not change.

Getting bigger wheels usually means you generally want the overall aesthetics of your car to improve, cause bigger wheels means greater visual impact. You also get the added benefit of slightly quicker steering and better stability due to the wider tires.

But is it worth it? I guess only you can say!

Good luck!

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The downside of changing from 13s to 14s would be additional weight of the wheels. In general, bigger wheels are heavier, not unless you're buying the lightweight racing type of wheel.

Due to this additional weight, you might experience a reduction in fuel efficiency and perhaps a little lag in acceleration.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    correct, i recently change my tires from 255/70/15 to 31x10.5x15
    pare bumagal ride ko, tapos bumigat pa steering, i had to change it back again, buti hindi pa bayad yung tires now im eyeing the 30x9.5x15 almost the same lang ng 255x70x15

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    IMm29 / kimpoy... which is better between the two: 195/50/15 o 195/55/15? what would be similar to my stock wheels 185/60/14? im having problems with my offset. thanks!:wink:

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    porma 195x50x15
    smoother ride 195x55x15

compute natin
    195 is the width of the thread in millimeters (mm)

195x55x15
    55 is the ratio of height to width (55% of 195mm) x 2=214.5mm +381(R15) total of 595.5mm in overall diameter

195x50x15
    (50% of 195) x2=195mm +381=576 in diameter

your stock tires is
    (60% of 185) x 2=222mm+355mm(R14)=577 in diameter

so in terms of diameter mas closest ang 195x50x15

IMm29 tama ba?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ito o, tire calculator, very helpful lalo na noong magpapalit ako ng mags

it will compute your actual speed if you change your stock wheels.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    check out the link SunTzu posted. Mas madali ma visualize yung tire upgrade 8)

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by SunTzu
    ito o, tire calculator, very helpful lalo na noong magpapalit ako ng mags

it will compute your actual speed if you change your stock wheels.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
    SunTzu:
    Great link you got there! Thanks. Medyo, gets ko na. Question lang, accurate kaya ito? Sorry, relatively new ako sa mga ito. But hey, if this one is really correct, then we have one heck of a tool for our tire change decisions.

e46boi:
    Thanks din 'dre. I like those words you used "visual impact!" Very true indeed. I believe, all car lovers would somehow would want one way or another to have their respective rides as goodlooking as they are. Right guys? 8)

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    sun tzu... galing calc ha!:wink: very helpful nga!

kimpoy... thanks! mukhang sanay tayo magcompute ha!:wink:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
New tire size: To change or not to change?