New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Hey guys,

I recently changed tires of my Toyota Vios E (175/65 R14) from the stock Dunlop SP10 (worn out and slippery) to new Michelin XM2. Haven't done some long mileage on the new tires though. I'm just wondering if any of you guys already have feedbacks (good and bad) you would like to share or experienced on the XM2 .

They advertised it as an energy saving tire (last 20% longer). Michelin Philippines - Tyres for Cars, SUV, Trucks, 2-Wheels - www.michelin.com.ph

Also, I saw a column on a motoring magazine about a test in Thailand a few weeks back. Energy and then some - The Philippine Star » Business Features » Motoring

Thanks,

2. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    I had the old version, XM1. It did last long. Had around 30,000 kms on the tire and the thread was still very thick. Almost looked new. Seem to save a little fuel but not enough to make me buy it again. Found it a bit slippery and noisy.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    How much were the XM2s? Did you get the same size as the stock SP10?

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by userfriendly View Post
    I had the old version, XM1. It did last long. Had around 30,000 kms on the tire and the thread was still very thick. Almost looked new. Seem to save a little fuel but not enough to make me buy it again. Found it a bit slippery and noisy.
    AFAIK, the Energy Saving tires usually have poorer traction as they are designed to have less rolling resistance. CMIIW.

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    ^which therefore is a dangerous tire. you can save gas but not your life.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by josephm View Post
    Hey guys,

I recently changed tires of my Toyota Vios E (175/65 R14) from the stock Dunlop SP10 (worn out and slippery) to new Michelin XM2. Haven't done some long mileage on the new tires though. I'm just wondering if any of you guys already have feedbacks (good and bad) you would like to share or experienced on the XM2 .

They advertised it as an energy saving tire (last 20% longer). Michelin Philippines - Tyres for Cars, SUV, Trucks, 2-Wheels - www.michelin.com.ph

Also, I saw a column on a motoring magazine about a test in Thailand a few weeks back. Energy and then some - The Philippine Star » Business Features » Motoring

Thanks,
    i had the other Michelin older than the XM1, nakalimutan ko na ang model. pero nagpalit ako ng set to XM2 last October, so far bumaba ang consumption from 10.9km/L to 11.1km/L. pero mahirap masabi kung yun tires nga nagcontribute dito sa dami ng factors (traffic, gamit ng aircon etc.). regarding sa traction, sa gaspang ng kalsada sa pinas, it won't be much of a problem except sa extremely wet conditions. at high speeds kasi, di maiiwasan hydroflating kapag matulin ka sa poorly drained na kalsada (ibang usapan sa makinis na asphalt highways sa probinsya ha) overall, ok na michelin kasi tumagal ng 80,000km yun sa akin. pinalitan lang kasi nagoblong na sa tagal. ingat lang sa pako at kaskas sa curb dahil di naman pang SUV yun model mo.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The XM1s were great in terms of economy, but not so in terms of braking grip.

It doesn't matter if the roads are "magaspang". What you want, wet or dry, is a rubber surface or compound that has grip. This is "gaspang" on the molecular level and dictates whether a tire will have good grip or not.

With energy-saving tires, you want less drag and friction. Unfortunately, one of the ways of achieving this is by using a rubber compound that doesn't stick to the road as well as regular rubber. Compared to the touring-performance rubber that comes on competitors, I've felt that the XM2s used as stock on some road cars lacks braking grip because of this. A lot.

But, compared to cheap-o tires, it's not too bad. The SP10s, if I recall (stock on the Vios, right?) are similar to the XM2s in terms of turning performance (with better "feel"), but are better under braking. Not worlds different, but still better. The XM2s are a higher quality tire, though.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

New Michelin XM2 tires