New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i'm planning to get new tires (195/55/15). i'm choosing among dunlop lemans 702, priced at P 2,200; dunlop formula 901, priced at P 2.6k and bridgestone potenza g3, priced at P 2.5k. if you were me, which one would you buy? tnx.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    either dunlop formula FM901 or bridgestone potenza g3 should do it for me.

although i've been running on dunlop lemans LM702 for the last 800 kms. and no prob naman. supposedly, dunlop has improved on the quality of their LM series, so the 702 should be more durable than the 701 which is bukulin. so if you want to save a little, the 702's not a bad idea.

my friend's been on FM901s for the last year and a half and no problem, plus ok pa yung grip and pogi yung tread design. what's nice about the FMs is that they're supposedly dunlop's version of a tire that's almost in step with the S-02PP. if you've got the cash, go for it.

i haven't gotten any feedback about extensively used G3s yet, but since they're bridgestones, they're great. i've tried the S-02PP and its grip is superb! if you're particular about the brand, (bridgestone vs. dunlop) get this.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    IMm29,
    tnx for your comprehensive reply. actually, im inclined of getting the 901s. but a friend of mine told me that 702s ride "smoother" compared to the former. i supposed so considering that 901s are high performance tires . . . correct me if im wrong.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    yes, you are right. the 901s are the high performance tires. the LM series (701 and 702) are actually designed for riding comfort, so they're both softer overall. this is the reason why so many of our Tsikot brethren have been complaining about bukol on the 701. the 702 is an improved version, so it's supposedly more durable.

we've got 701s on our esteem. it's been running on those tires for almost a year now and so far, la pa namang bukol. this is the reason why i chose the 702s. riding comfort and, so far, durability.

if you want a smoother ride, try the 702s.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    tama sila. 901s are used for performance. peeps racing/tambay along illegal dragracing areas use fm901s, kapit na kapit daw ito e.. me, i use toyo proxes.at the time i bought those tires, wala kasi stock ng fm901s e ayaw ko ng 701 (tapos wala pa nun yung 702) kaya i settled for the proxes. ive been using the proxes for a year now, ok pa siya.. i think they are cheaper than dunlops, just forgot how much i got them. ask yourself first if you want comfort or performance? are you using your car for racing or not? hope this helps.. :D

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I'd go with the Bridgestones. Kaso lang i have no expereince with them yet.

The FM's should be grippier then the LM's but at the expense probably of longevity (grippier tires usually have softer compounds). I can attest to the longevity of the LM's though (basta huwag mabukol) since we've been using it for three years already on our Sentra B14 and the mileage is already reaching 50K (no burnouts or track usage here, plus the wheels are always aligned).

choose a tire that suits your driving preferences (high-performance, or longevity and comfort).

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Try also Goodyear. Ok din po ito.:D

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    bridgestone G3s are made with the same DONUT technology and compounds used on the turanzas, so they should provide better traction as it ages. my experience with the turanzas are nothing less than superb.

you could also get the last C! and get their performance ratings for the G3, although they don't have a comparison for the dunlops. you should also consider the falken azenis 115s. their in the same league, if not better, than the G3s. the firestone S2s ranked the highest in C!s tire wars, and if i'm not mistaken, bridgestone makes firestones. and they're a tad cheaper than the G3s too.

BTW, would you be using them for racing or the daily grind with a bit of oomph every once in a while? kasi kung ako, i always consider comfort firsthand kung daily driver yung car, in which case, i'd go for the falken azenis, then the G3s, then the dunlops. (sorry, i haven't had any experience with the dunlops).

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the potenza's are ok. how come pala yokohama's are also not included sa choice mo? nice tires too.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    which yokohama model? a539?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
need help in choosing tires