New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Hi,

I bought a Civic '01 last January. Ever since, I've noticed that the power steering fluid doesn't last very long. After a month, I decided to have it checked at Honda Shaw yesterday. The mechanic's diagnosis is that there's a leak. His suggestion is to have the entire gear box replaced. In addition, iyung hose daw na nakakabit sa power steering.

Estimate is 45,000 bucks.

Any advice where I can have this fixed decently without spending this much?

I've also read in other threads about sealants. I'm not sure if it'll work in my case. If it does, pede bang bumili muna ako ng sealant then pagawa ko sa mechanic?

Thanks in advance!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Where is the leak coming from?bring it to a gas station lube bay,lift the car and confirmed the location of the leak.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    There was a thread here not too long ago regarding repairing leaks at the Civic steering gearbox. It was definitely not Php45,000. Even the recent leak on our Volvo's steering rack cost a relatively (at least compared to that estimate) reasonable Php 16k.

I can only recall how much a rebuild kit for a Suzuki costs. It was around Php5k for the parts alone and Php2k for labor. Based dun sa nabasa ko dito, mas mura ang sa Civic (probably because its not a truck).

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    that's way too expensive. pass by the shop and we can give it a look see and recommend what you should do.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by m_ron View Post
    Where is the leak coming from?bring it to a gas station lube bay,lift the car and confirmed the location of the leak.
    I'm not really sure where the leak is coming from. Sinabi lang sa akin nung mechanic ng honda shaw sa may gear box daw. I'll prolly have a second opinion. Thanks for the reply!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    There was a thread here not too long ago regarding repairing leaks at the Civic steering gearbox. It was definitely not Php45,000. Even the recent leak on our Volvo's steering rack cost a relatively (at least compared to that estimate) reasonable Php 16k.

I can only recall how much a rebuild kit for a Suzuki costs. It was around Php5k for the parts alone and Php2k for labor. Based dun sa nabasa ko dito, mas mura ang sa Civic (probably because its not a truck).
    Thanks. 16k is definitely less expensive kaso medyo masakit pa rin sa bulsa. Actually, the mechanic told me may isang part lang na dapat palitan pero they don't do that anymore daw. Not sure what the part is called so in short, they have to replace the entire thing daw. Thanks for the input though!

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by speedyfix View Post
    that's way too expensive. pass by the shop and we can give it a look see and recommend what you should do.
    What's the name of your shop? Tamang tama ang lapit ko lang sa Puregold, Shaw Mga 5 mins. away. Do you offer free check-up? Are you open on Saturdays? May work kasi ako on weekdays. Saka pakibigay office hours. Salamat!

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Casa ba ang estimate?

Hehehe... reminded me when I had my PS leak estimated too... around 90-100K sa casa... palit ng buong rack & pinion plus ps assembly. :seeth:

Then, I had it estimated at Autotechnika... ginastos ko lang ay less than 10K for the PS repair. Medyo naka add lang ng price ay yung alignment (2K sa kanila ).

Yung sa problem ko, according to the AT SM, yung steering rack ay tumama daw sa rack & pinion. So far so good after they repaired it!

==

Re: Speedyfix, in front sya ng Red Ribbon & mga 100m lang sya after Puregold (going to Ortigas).

9. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdamazda View Post
    Casa ba ang estimate?

Hehehe... reminded me when I had my PS leak estimated too... around 90-100K sa casa... palit ng buong rack & pinion plus ps assembly.

Then, I had it estimated at Autotechnika... ginastos ko lang ay less than 10K for the PS repair. Medyo naka add lang ng price ay yung alignment (2K sa kanila ).

Yung sa problem ko, according to the AT SM, yung steering rack ay tumama daw sa rack & pinion. So far so good after they repaired it!

==

Re: Speedyfix, in front sya ng Red Ribbon & mga 100m lang sya after Puregold (going to Ortigas).
    Yup, sa Honda Shaw ko pinatingin. Anyway weird, iyung binilhan ko ng car sabi kakapalit lang daw ng rack and pinion. Nautakan ako.

Ok ba sa speedyfix? Sana hindi rin mahal.

Anyway thanks for sharing your experience!

10. Join Date
    Nov 2003
    we're open mon-sat 9-6

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Need Advice on Power Steering Leak