New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Hello, people. I need help re front shocks.

The people at Honda Libis are telling me that I need to replace my front shocks and damper stoppers. Is this usual for a 29Tkm (July 2003) CR-V A/T that is mainly city-driven? They are charging me P6,800 per side (or about P13,800 total).

Should I trust them? How will I know if the shocks indeed need replacement?

2. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Check it youself. Check and see if your shocks has leaks. If the ride is still comfy for you then don't replace it.They just want your money. shocks is not a major problem especially if the money is tight.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Shock absorbers are wear and tear items. But they do not have an expected life expectancy and no recommended service interval. You only replace them when they no longer perform as expected.

About the only people I know that inisist replacing shocks at predetermined intervals are the people who make shocks and the people who sell them.

I've had shocks last for 10 years. Maybe you are a rally race driver or Honda shocks are made of paper and twine. :lol:

In any case, better get a second opinion from a shop you know that's not just after your wallet.

Php6,800/side is quite a figure for something considered an economy car. That's about the price of shock/struts for some European cars already with some change still left for a meal or two.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    here is my take on this.

i've seen stock shocks which lasted for more than five years, and i've seen busted shocks that were used for less than a year.

as per OTEP, shocks are wear and tear parts. it would depend on lots of factors which could be of follows:

a) road condition frequently used;
    b) attitude of the driver in driving (how he handles humps, deep bumps, etc.)
    c) quality of the shocks.

P 6800++ is quite expensive for a one side repair. i think CRV shocks just costs around 3k/side at most. but what do you expect? casa yan eh. laki ng patong dyan.

i would agree with m_ron's comments that you check it out yourself. there are lots of things that you can do (visual and physical) which can verify the condition of your shocks.

your other alternatives:

it will be all up to you, you can take your car to an outside shop like Servitek, etc. which can fix that a little less than what was quoted by the casa, or other shops like speedyfix, cruven or zee. tingin ko naman, maski bago yung car, hindi ma tatanggal warranty nyan if you had your shocks replaced outside.

to add, my car's rear shocks got busted first before the front ones. my rear shocks got busted when my car was around 4 years old. the front shocks just got busted last year, when the car was already 6 years old.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    parang napaka "timely" naman ng busted shocks. since out of warranty na yung V, you can go for replacement or aftermarket shocks.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    About my CR-V, I drive quite carefully over humps and potholes. My previous cars were driven the same way and I need not have to replace shocks for almost 7 years (before I sold the car Civic VTi-S).

Sir happy_gilmore, how do you determine that the shocks are already "busted" and should be replaced?

Where are the speedyfix, cruven or zee shops and how can I contact them?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by 6700rpm View Post
    About my CR-V, I drive quite carefully over humps and potholes. My previous cars were driven the same way and I need not have to replace shocks for almost 7 years (before I sold the car Civic VTi-S).

Sir happy_gilmore, how do you determine that the shocks are already "busted" and should be replaced?

Where are the speedyfix, cruven or zee shops and how can I contact them?
    there are lots of threads here on how to check.... but to save you on the activity:

a) diinan mo yung hood mo directly over the shock location. have your car bounce up and down. kung more than one bounce after the release, may sira ang shocks.
    b) visually inspect the shocks. kung may tagas ng langis, sira na shocks mo.
    c) during riding, kung medyo matalbog na compared to when your ride was new, sira na shocks.
    d) pag nag bobottom out. sira na shocks.

yung contact number ng ZEE and Cruven, pa search na lang po dito sa forums.

Cruven WebSite: http://cruven.tripod.com/
    Zee Website: http://www.zeecarplus.com/
    Tsikot.Com Discussions: http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showt...&highlight=Zee
    Speedyfix Discussion:
    http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showt...ight=Speedyfix

hth...
    Last edited by 1D4LV; March 9th, 2007 at 03:42 PM.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    tama nga kau mga sir..

corolla ng daddy ko 10 years na lambot pa din ..

pero dahil 10 yrs na meron talaga mag iiba ng kaunti kpag panget ang da.an na tintakbohan ng auto may slight difference talaga noong bago pa sya..

9. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    I had my 2003 CR-V checked at Speedyfix and found a slight oil leak on the left front shock. The ride, however, is still not very different from when the car was still new. I will have the front shocks replaced with the next oil change.

Thanks for your help guys.

Life of front shocks