New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    The car is a Ford Focus 2017. The right shock absorber leaked after hitting a sharp bump on the highway at high speed. Asked the casa how much is the replacement, they said 26k a piece and they have to be replaced by pair. I was like “f*** that”.

I found an aftermarket part, KYB new SR Special. Only costs P14,500. I remember years ago having to replace the shocks on our Lancer with KYB and it didn’t have issues. Before deciding to order, kinulit ko yung seller sa Lazada kung fit ba talaga to, etc. Compatible daw with stock spring sabi. The description also says Ford Focus 2013 - up. I was assured by him and so I ordered.

Now that it arrived and I compared it to the original part, parang iba yung shape kung saan nilalagay yung spring. I’m getting anxious because it might not fit. Tuesday pa kasi ang available date sa Mazda for servicing. I wouldn’t want anybody else touching the suspension due to some bad experience with mechanics not knowing much about the Focus.

Anyway my question is, do you guys have experience with KYB or any aftermarket shocks with different shapes but would still fit with the stock springs?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hardwang View Post
    The car is a Ford Focus 2017. The right shock absorber leaked after hitting a sharp bump on the highway at high speed. Asked the casa how much is the replacement, they said 26k a piece and they have to be replaced by pair. I was like “f*** that”.

I found an aftermarket part, KYB new SR Special. Only costs P14,500. I remember years ago having to replace the shocks on our Lancer with KYB and it didn’t have issues. Before deciding to order, kinulit ko yung seller sa Lazada kung fit ba talaga to, etc. Compatible daw with stock spring sabi. The description also says Ford Focus 2013 - up. I was assured by him and so I ordered.

Now that it arrived and I compared it to the original part, parang iba yung shape kung saan nilalagay yung spring. I’m getting anxious because it might not fit. Tuesday pa kasi ang available date sa Mazda for servicing. I wouldn’t want anybody else touching the suspension due to some bad experience with mechanics not knowing much about the Focus.

Anyway my question is, do you guys have experience with KYB or any aftermarket shocks with different shapes but would still fit with the stock springs?

Try fitting. Looking at the stablink mount plate loc & spring seat... chances are they'd be fine. The KONIs I had were of exact same shape as the stock they replaced.
    Why not go FSD or Special Active upgrades instead? They're sub $600 all 4.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    It looks ok from the pics.. I think the spring will fit ok.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    Try fitting. Looking at the stablink mount plate loc & spring seat... chances are they'd be fine. The KONIs I had were of exact same shape as the stock they replaced.
    Why not go FSD or Special Active upgrades instead? They're sub $600 all 4.

Thanks.

I actually just want the car to just run fine. In the future maybe, but for now the car is used as a daily driver.

Another question, is it ok that I changed only the front pair? Ok pa kasi ang rear and its only a 2 and a half year old car.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Thanks.

I actually just want the car to just run fine. In the future maybe, but for now the car is used as a daily driver.

Another question, is it ok that I changed only the front pair? Ok pa kasi ang rear and its only a 2 and a half year old car.
    Always do it in pairs, at the very least.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008

yup.
    it looks like it'll fit fine. the new part just looks like it'd been slightly modified, in a positive way.
    but i am curious... mukhang mahal.. my kyb front shocks for my innova didn't cost more than 10K for a pair in herran...

7. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    yup.
    it looks like it'll fit fine. the new part just looks like it'd been slightly modified, in a positive way.
    but i am curious... mukhang mahal.. my kyb front shocks for my innova didn't cost more than 10K for a pair in herran...
    Actually there was a cheaper option. KYB Excel G daw, color black and it only costs around P3.5K each. Yun daw supposedly ang direct OEM replacement.
    But I was thinking of trying the more "sporty" version, tapos compatible naman daw with the stock spring without altering anything.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Actually there was a cheaper option. KYB Excel G daw, color black and it only costs around P3.5K each. Yun daw supposedly ang direct OEM replacement.
    But I was thinking of trying the more "sporty" version, tapos compatible naman daw with the stock spring without altering anything.
    If you'd want upgrade, go proven Koni Special Active....or settle w/ the hobo KYB direct stock replacement. In betweens may not give you that sense of optimized worth.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    If you'd want upgrade, go proven Koni Special Active....or settle w/ the hobo KYB direct stock replacement. In betweens may not give you that sense of optimized worth.

Yung Koni hindi ba masyado harsh? Although I searched and did consider Bilstein or Koni but the KYB was the easiest to find and order. I was stuck driving the Ranger and I hated every second of it, that’s why the shocks had to be replaced ASAP. Need to drive a smaller car in the city, di kaya ang size ng pick up. 😂

10. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Yung Koni hindi ba masyado harsh? Although I searched and did consider Bilstein or Koni but the KYB was the easiest to find and order. I was stuck driving the Ranger and I hated every second of it, that’s why the shocks had to be replaced ASAP. Need to drive a smaller car in the city, di kaya ang size ng pick up. [emoji23]
    Don't Koni Sport. Those Yellows can be harsh. You will want the rebadged FSD...now called Special Active. It's got a mind of its own...w/o electronics.[emoji4]
    KONI Special ACTIVE ? Natural Instinct Inside - YouTube

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast