New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Which is better? They're almost the same price.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Had the same choices like you before and I ended up with the Kumho Ecsta, mainly due to the more abundant good reviews I've read about it online (both local and foreign sites), and the shop I was getting my wheels from sell those.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Bro, pareho ba silang may rim protector? Which protector is better?

And what is your experience with the Ecsta? Dry/wet performance, noise, tread life etc?

4. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Only got my Ecsta for just about 3 months palang so I can't comment too much experience-wise. Noise based on my observation mas tahimik siya kesa sa Dunlop Le Mans ko before.

Alam ko spec-wise pareho silang may rim protector, pero judging dun sa akin at sa friend kong naka Maxxis (not sure if MA-Z1 Victra yung sakanya though, pero pareho kami ng tire size), parang mas maganda yung palibot nung sa Maxxis sa rims. Yung sa Ecsta kasi parang di siya balot dun sa edges, parang naka-lubog lang na may space pa na rubber.

Anyway, I'm sure a lot of the other guys here can fill you in with more details.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Thanks for the info bro!

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    up lang. is this the Kumho KU31? im left with this 2 choices.., what did you choose TS? ok ba sidewall ng MAxxis? i heard mahina daw.. but it might be for the non ma-z1 models.. thanks!

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by poorprince View Post
    up lang. is this the Kumho KU31? im left with this 2 choices.., what did you choose TS? ok ba sidewall ng MAxxis? i heard mahina daw.. but it might be for the non ma-z1 models.. thanks!
    Have the Kumho Ecsta KU31 205/55/R16 91V.

Better than the Bridgestone Turanza ER30 that came stock with the car.

Subjectively, it feels just as grippy while being a little quieter and absorbs road imperfections better.

Turning in feels a slight bit slower/agile compared to the ER30 and the Yokohama A.Drive fitted to the other car, but negligible.

I'd recommend this for the price.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    I have the Maxxis now. Maganda ang rim protector ng MA-Z1. Pero in terms of performance feeling ko lamang yung Ecsta because of the good reviews, although may good reviews din about the Maxxis, personally feeling ko matigas sya. Ramdam ng husto ang road imperfections eh. I came from stock 14s Dunlop SP10 nga lang then switched to 195/55/15 Maxxis.

Eto pic for you to get an idea somehow RE: rim protector ng Maxxis.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Thanks! i know based on previous use (MAxxis Ma-v1) that it seemed to last longer, maybe it is of a harder compound. How's the tread life of the Kumho?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If we're talking about the MA-Z1 that has the tread patterns like the old Goodyear Eagle F1s, the Ecsta has superior performance. The MA-Z1 is grippy, but the soft tread blocks make it (not the tread... the blocks themselves) "squidgy" and unpredictable in the corners.

Which makes it less than ideal when you're doing high-performance driving... but for everyday use, it's okay. The Ecsta are much more predictable in all conditions, even if they have a little less outright grip. The only cons I have heard for the Ecsta are the sidewalls are a bit soft for racing, but that's curable by putting in a little more air.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Kumho Ecsta SPT or Maxxis MA-Z1 Victra