New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by promdiboy View Post
    do you think an AT tire (aggressive tread pattern) will be less prone to hydroplane compared to a HT tire (more surface contact) ?
    Nope... for wet road performance:

HP/HL > HT > AT > MT

---

Slightly off-topic... does the imperfect roads that we have here (wavy surface, potholes, cracks, etc.) contribute to LESS hydroplaning incidents since in my theory it breaks up the water film that causes it?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    but wont the HT tire create more lift because its less efficient at channeling the water to the sides, unlike the AT tire which has more space in between its tread pattern? similar to the goodyear aquatred tires of yesteryears, which has a wide center groove. sold na sold ako dati sa commercial ng aquatred tires, I think wala na ngayon nito,
    Last edited by promdiboy; August 29th, 2007 at 04:58 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by promdiboy View Post
    but wont the HT tire create more lift because its less efficient at channeling the water to the sides, unlike the AT tire which has more space in between its tread pattern? similar to the goodyear aquatred tires of yesteryears, which has a wide center groove. sold na sold ako dati sa commercial ng aquatred tires, I think wala na ngayon nito,
    Not necessarily.

A/T tire:

H/T tire:

While both tires have a circumferential groove running across the tire - this is only good for low speed wet traction (as you pointed out in the Aquatred design). Almost all road tires use this feature already.

If you can notice in the A/T tire, there is no running lateral groove going from one side to the other side. Although you have bigger blocks, this tread design is more useful for tackling mud or snow.

In the H/T, there is a running lateral groove (in the form of a slightly diagonal line) running from side to side. This feature gives is the advantage for wet road performance but not for tackling mud/snow.

Plus the harder compound used by A/T tires (as pointed out by niky) allows less flexibility for it. A softer compound tire is more flexible and more grip overall.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    I think it doesn't matter whether it's perfect roads or not kasi it's when people get caught off-guard that hydroplaning occurs. In perfect road conditions water flows off hence there is flowing water on the road. In imperfect road conditions water stands still and this is when people get caught off-guard, thereby causing more hydroplaning (low visibility, standing water looks "invisible" especially at night, etc). People assume the road is even and there aren't any holes that's why potholes are such an irritation. So when there are dips on the road surface where water can collect people think that's nothing but when they drive on it that's when they experience it.

It's happened to me before, pudpod na gulong ko yet sinugod ko yung baha kasi no choice ako though I drove slowly there was one part na standing water I couldn't brake quickly enough so I hit the water with nearly bald tires and for a second or two I felt like I was just sliding. Unbelievable, no traction at all (hence no control). That's why I had the tires replaced with at least cheap surplus ones (Kelly Chargers) on the fronts most importantly. It was my first car so I learned a lesson or two there.
    Last edited by mbeige; August 29th, 2007 at 09:45 AM.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    ang mahal naman talaga kasi ng new tires....i currently have 17" on my wheels, but since ang mahal ng 1 set, I'd be going back to my stock 15" on my next purchase, probably before October....i-swap ko na lang ulit 17" wheels ko for an original set of 15"s...

speaking of purchase, talaga bang ang price ng mga 17 tires ngayon (215/45 R17) is around 6000+? Nung binili ko yung 1 set ko Falken, it was around Php 4200 each, around late year 2004...last time tanong ako ng same model from Falken, it was 6300 ata each...pinaka mura was Federal Tires, for the same size * 5000 each...Taiwan daw.... ganun na ba talaga???

6. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by phichanad View Post
    ang mahal naman talaga kasi ng new tires....i currently have 17" on my wheels, but since ang mahal ng 1 set, I'd be going back to my stock 15" on my next purchase, probably before October....i-swap ko na lang ulit 17" wheels ko for an original set of 15"s...

speaking of purchase, talaga bang ang price ng mga 17 tires ngayon (215/45 R17) is around 6000+? Nung binili ko yung 1 set ko Falken, it was around Php 4200 each, around late year 2004...last time tanong ako ng same model from Falken, it was 6300 ata each...pinaka mura was Federal Tires, for the same size * 5000 each...Taiwan daw.... ganun na ba talaga???
    Mahal na talaga. I bought 225/55/17 last April, P6,700 isa. BStone brand.
    Sulitin ko na lang talaga ang gamit.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    sir mazda mazda, thanks for the expalanation, sobrang claro na.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    since my kid is always riding with me, i always change my tires every two to three years. ang ginagawa ko para hindi ganung kabigat sa bulsa is two pieces parati. new tires are placed in front, tapos if good pa yung condition ng tires (dahil sya ang parating nauuna palitan), nilalagay ko sa likod. tapos the following year, since bago yung tires sa harap, nilalagay ko sa likod yun, and bibili ulit ako ng two pieces na tires para sa harap.

safety is always a priority so talagang important din na i-check parati ang condition ng tires.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Additional tip on how to prolong your tire life is to rotate them every 10,000 kilometers

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Insist Your New Tires Are Mounted On The Rear.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7_wPfcomQU"]YouTube - place your new tires at the back[/ame]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Keep an eye on your tires' tread depth