New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2018
    Guys, related development ito from a Ford Fiesta thread:
    Busted Shocks - Ford Fiesta

I plan to put one of our cars (Toyota Wigo) on jack stands for mga 2 month's storage (all 4 wheels).
    First time ko lang narinig na may ibang cars na nasisira ang shocks if matagal siyang lifted off the ground?
    Is this true, or for some particular models/brands lang ba?

We've had cars na matagal nakalagay on stands before, but these were old '70's models na restoration projects namin when we were younger. Di naman nasira yung mga shocks (oil filled pa yung stock shocks nila). I don't know with these cars nowadays.

Pa share naman ng kaalaman, and thanks in advance.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by SoleusBB View Post
    Guys, related development ito from a Ford Fiesta thread:
    Busted Shocks - Ford Fiesta

I plan to put one of our cars (Toyota Wigo) on jack stands for mga 2 month's storage (all 4 wheels).
    First time ko lang narinig na may ibang cars na nasisira ang shocks if matagal siyang lifted off the ground?
    Is this true, or for some particular models/brands lang ba?

We've had cars na matagal nakalagay on stands before, but these were old '70's models na restoration projects namin when we were younger. Di naman nasira yung mga shocks (oil filled pa yung stock shocks nila). I don't know with these cars nowadays.

Pa share naman ng kaalaman, and thanks in advance.
    If that problem in Ford is indeed an "issue" for newer cars, then you shouldn't lift the car all the way up.

My suggestions are:

1. Inflate the tires up to near maximum pressure rating. You should see it on the tire itself.

2. Lift the car just at the right height in such a way that the tires are still carrying the car's weight.

In this manner, the shocks won't be "stretched​" and your wheels won't be stressed too much since the jack stands are also helping in carrying the weight of the car.

Let's wait for our experts' opinion.

3. Join Date
    May 2013
    2 months is just a short time, IMO. I don't think it will have any adverse effect on any of the suspension parts of your car.

I think some cars gets stuck longer than that, and all they got was a flat tire, or a spoiled gas.

But, you can still heed Archerfish's advice.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    If that problem in Ford is indeed an "issue" for newer cars, then you shouldn't lift the car all the way up.

My suggestions are:

1. Inflate the tires up to near maximum pressure rating. You should see it on the tire itself.

2. Lift the car just at the right height in such a way that the tires are still carrying the car's weight.

In this manner, the shocks won't be "stretched​" and your wheels won't be stressed too much since the jack stands are also helping in carrying the weight of the car.

Let's wait for our experts' opinion.
    Use jack stands as support sa tires and wheels. That is safer. Don't forget the wheel chocks.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    If I may digress, can you post the pictures of your restored cars?

6. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    sometimes, when tires go fully flat, the lip may separate from the tire. when that happens, i might not be able to re-inflate that tire with my home tire inflator.
    i'd have to remove the wheel and bring it to the tire shop, for re-inflation.
    so, i either overinflate, or i put the car on stands, to prevent full-flat tire. the tire does not have to lift away from the ground; it just has to be prevented from going fully flat.
    tamad ako. so i just over-inflate.
    heh heh.

only two months? just inflate it to 36-40 psi.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Place the stand sa ilalim ng shocks. You lift the tires pero may tension pa din yu g suspension

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DA using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    May 2014
    ayaw mo tanggalin nalang yun gulong while naka jackstand? less stress sa shocks?

9. Join Date
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    If I may digress, can you post the pictures of your restored cars?
    Oh, we're not well to do or anything... May talyer uncle ko dati, so my cousins and I had some "junker" cars that we'd bit by bit rehabilitate to get roadworthy (and presentable) even if some of them would have to wear masilya "camouflage" for over half a year bago mapinturahan properly

They were fun "first cars" for us in our teens and early 20's- even if once in a while mapapahiya ka sa date mo because the engine was a work in progress. Unlike some of our peers with doting parents who were zipping around in Hondas with souped up engines or Toyotas na naka-setup ng boombox, etc., we had these. Sa amin kasi... you'd have to earn it to deserve it.

===
    Happy naman yung mga nakabili nung mga end product (97+% restored/rebuilt). We made sure the buyers were enthusiasts/collectors and not someone just looking for an "expendable" car for a newbie driver. Yung isa, muntik pang pagawayan nung mga interested buyers. These cars were much loved and we made sure they had good new owners, with an offer to repurchase ulit in the future (if our means allowed).

Notable projects were a 70's Land Cruiser, Toyota Crown S50 (lakas sa gas!), 1600 VW Beetle, Toyota Sprinter and an Izuzu Gemini (gave up, sold as scrap). Halata `bang maka-Toyota kami? It wasn't too hard to look for obsolete parts, even if it meant digging around in junk piles/surplus parts shops on weekends, parang mga basurero. Walang basagan ng trip!
    The VW had good supply depots at Araneta Ave. in Q.C., budget lang lagi kapos then.

Yun nga lang, in the late 80's and early 90's cellphones were luxury items and didn't have cams, and a digital camera was expensive so we didn't have pics digitized. Hahanapin ko nga yung mga 3R photos minsan somewhere and scan them to post here.

10. Join Date
    May 2018
    Anyways, the reason why balak ko i-lift yung car is yung area ng garage namin pinapasok na ng floodwaters lately.

Yung flood control project ng gov't sa area namin palpak. Dati hindi pumpapasok, nung ginawa nila, lumala, pumapasok na. Way to go!

===
    Its the same reason kaya balak ko "impound" muna dito sa amin because I will be using our lifted Hilux as a daily drive in the rainy season. "Naawa" ako for the tiny car. Tipid ka nga sa gas, pero nail-biting anxiety every time bumabaha when these thunderstorms strike (hindi pa bagyo yan ha?). Kahit may AOG cover ka, your car won't be the same.

I guess the Wigo may be an el cheapo car compared to what some of you guys may own, pero for middle class people like me, hindi naman pinulot lang kung saan yung pinambili nun so iingatan lang Last line of defense na yung jack stands kasi no escape na (mas malalim outside the garage, which ni raise na namin yung angle ng concrete entry ramp). If it gets past that, well, nagawa ko na lahat. Every few centimeters count!

Siguro I'll try removing the wheels nga as suggested, and lift the vehicle as a last option kung may impending storm because I might be doing more harm than good. Kung sandali lang baka di naman makasama?

All posters, TY for your your thoughts! All additional opinions are still welcome and will be appreciated.

Habang mag practice drills ako (in my head) raising the car while Ondoy class rains start flooding the garage, magiipon naman ako ngayon to move to a better neighborhood

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast